KILL BILL VOL.1.....soundtrack

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Phatmon, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Phatmon

Phatmon New Friend

Oct 1, 2004
    Forest Lake, Mn
    would any of you know who is playing trumpet on this sound track? The part I am interested in is near the begining I can not remember the scene exactally but when I hear it Rafael Mendez comes to mind. I wish I could clarify a little more but if any of you have seen the movie I am sure you know what I am talking about. IT is a pretty fast paced piece and to me sounds really hot!! :D

2. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    I guess you're talking about Al Hirt playing "The Green Hornet Theme".

3. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Maybe I'm going a bit off topic, but DAMN, that was an excellent movie!

Al Hirt, huh? *Making note to find recordings*

Van

4. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    I think iTunes has the recording, so it shouldn't be too hard for you to find it, Van.

Yeah, Al Hirt really goes unnoticed way too much. In fact, I've been listening to the RCA album (can't remember the title, the case is back home) in my truck. No, he didn't really wow you with high notes, or amazingly technical licks like Marsalis or Vizzutti. Can't really describe it, you just...like it!

5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    The Green Hornet Theme fit that particular part of the movie perfectly! I know some people that have always wanted the "Kill Bill Trumpet Song" on their phone ring tones, and now I can get them to set that up for my number (Should be "The Van Bryant Theme")!

Van

6. Lo

Lo New Friend

Nov 25, 2003
    Toronto,Ontario
    Hi!

I find that I like Al Hirt's playing because it is pretty distinctive. He seems to have this crazy sizzle to all of his notes.

7. Phatmon

Phatmon New Friend

Oct 1, 2004
    Forest Lake, Mn
    I was fortunate enough to see Al Hirt back in the early 80's here in Minnesota arund the time I started playing trumpet in jr.high. I remember reading somwere that he had won Playboy magazines trumpet player of the year award quite a few years in a row in the 70's. I know he was a classical player and of course a big time New Orleans legend. I wish I listend to more of his style when I was learning to play but Maynard, Chuck, Herb, and Doc were the trumpet sections favorite and most mentioned.

http://www.trumpetstuff.com/