kinda weird but...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by babyfacechulo, Apr 30, 2010.

1. babyfacechulo

babyfacechulo New Friend

Nov 21, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I went to sam ash where I live by and I tried out three bach strads to double check if they had the same sound that I was experiencing and correct me if I'm wrong but does all the bach sounds very soft? Because I've tried all 3 of them and to me they all sounded like the tone was too sweet. I don't know how to explain it, but its very weird because I have 4 horns but I just wanted to make sure If all the bach trumpets just sounded like that or something. I have two student blessing trumpets and two student bach prelude trumpets, so I'm currently playing the prelude now. And the bachs that I have sounds pretty mellow for my taste but I like it though :D

2. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    From my experience with Bachs, Bachs traditionally have a darker sound in my view, more depth in it (Better for Syphonic work)(B&S's are knock offs of strads) The Schilke's have a brighter sound (good for jazz). Then I consider Yahmaha Xeno's probably the best for marching. These are my views on the horns in general. For a "soft sound" I assume that you mean not naturally loud, I find on Bachs I have to put a bit more air in the horn than the others mentioned above to produce a fuller sound, but I say its well worth it, the Strad is great for generally all areas of work.

3. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    However I haven't played anything new, only my 1976, a friend of mine has one from the 80's, tested a few from the 90's, and just a few other odd and end ones