Kindle for sheet music?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by monkeymark, Jul 5, 2012.

1. monkeymark

monkeymark New Friend

May 11, 2012
    Hi all,

Doe anyone have experience of using sheet music on the kindle (or its bigger brother whatever that is called).

Just trying to get an idea if of wether that should be my next "toy".

Cheers, Mark

2. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Not me ! But I recently attended a concert in Bordeaux by the Herbie Hancock quartet : no more paper, all the music on iPad or something like that …

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  3. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    I use Music Notes on my iPad. It's great when traveling.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have a Kindle fire and it's a small screen. Would be hard to see I would think on a music stand in a traditional set-up.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I play in a jazz trio, and keep all of my music in PDF format on an Android tablet. It works out pretty good.

I use a 10-inch tablet. The smaller tablets (in the 7-inch range) didn't work out as well. Not sure what size the Kindle is. I suggest you go to your local Best Buy and look at them all side-by-side.

Mike

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My Kindle is 3.5 x 6 inches! Pretty small for sheet music unless it's marching size.

7. TerryR

TerryR Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2012
    Quakertown PA
    I have a Kindle Touch and my son has a Kindle Fire. The one sheet music pdf that we have tried does not work very well. Some of the lines disappear unless you zoom in.

8. Anonymousiv

Anonymousiv Pianissimo User

May 29, 2010
    Youngstown, OH
    You would want to use something with a backlit screen, so that would be the Kindle Fire, and since it has a 7 inch screen, it might be difficult to read the music.

Something with a 10 inch screen would probably be what you want, so you're left with either a 10 inch Android tablet or an iPad.

9. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    The iPad is great, and there are also bluetooth "page turning" pedals available so you can use your feet to do the turning, leaving hands free!

10. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    I'm an analogue man...but the idea of getting a foot switch with a large tablet sounds great...no flipping pages...just tap the old foot and bamo next page.