Kindle for sheet music?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by monkeymark, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    a couple of years ago a friend of mine saw Harry Connick Jr. live with his band and he said everyone in the band had a flat screen monitor instead of sheet music. no mess no fuss, everyone had the right song qued up. the monitor layed down like sheet music so no one really noticed anything different unless you looked for it.

2. kctrumpeteer

kctrumpeteer Piano User

Dec 23, 2009
    I saw someone using the foot pedal page-turner iPad when I played trumpet in a musical. The positive is that the original music set was 80+ pages long. The down side is you still have to transfer that into the digital format, and on top of that we had dozens (O.k. really hundreds) of changes that seemed to change even after production started because one of the singers or directors wanted something to change. I think the person using this setup was fine with changes and adept at using it, but for no more often than I would get a chance to use it I might have a hard time justifying the cost, however I really see this the way of the future. Books are not quite there, but I have a hard time believing that books 50 years from now will be as prevalent in paper format. Look at music itself all moving to digital formats more and more over time.

The other concern I would have is if you lost power or if your device went on the fritz... Having a paper copy is always handy.
    If nothing else as a backup copy.