King 601 or Jupiter JTR 600M

Discussion in 'Horns' started by erd402, Mar 21, 2009.

1. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    I am looking at buying a new trumpet. Only thing is I'm looking for something used and can't spend to much money on it. Theres a man who restores used trumpets to "near mint" condition who lives a couple hours a way and I've only heard good things about him, so I'm thinking about giving him a try. He has a King 601 and a Jupiter JTR 600M for the same price. I'm in high school so I'm just looking for a cheap secondary horn to be used for marching band. He has about 10 pictures of different angles and close-ups of both horns and they both look great, inside and out. Which should I get? If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    I dont know about the King but i can vouche for the Jupiter. I play on the 600M and i havent had a problem with it that wasnt caused by someone dropping it. It is really sturdy, it survived a four/five ft drop on to a marble floor with minimal damage, so it will last for years. It plays really easily, it was better than a pro Yamaha that i tried at the same time (sort of a "this is what a cheap one plays like, this is what an expensive one plays like" which backfired). There is no problems with range, it does get difficult around high G (the one above the one resting on the stave) to pitch notes but it can get up to double high C. The valves can be unreliable but i found that Holton Electric Oil has sorted that out perfectly.

All in all a really good student horn and worth the money if you dont want to spend alot.

:play:

3. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    I will probably end up going with the Jupiter. From what I've been told it would be the better instrument, plus it also looks nicer :D

4. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    I have another to throw on the list for $30 less, a Yamaha 2320. Would that be a better choice?

5. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    The Yamaha is off the list, back to the original two.