king kong

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by davidjohnson, Dec 18, 2005.

1. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    i saw it saturday...

peter jackson's new version is terrific.
    in the theatre sequence where the king is chained up, the old '33 music/costumes are used by the performers. naomi's got great screams like fay wray had (there's a quick joke about fay during a conversation) as well as the pre-requisite legs and better eyes. lots of action, some good humor, a little un-needed cussin'.
    but, drat...they shot him again!

dj

2. Kevin Hilman

Kevin Hilman Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Peter Jackson's King Kong in fan-freakin-tastic and this coming from someone who didn't care a bit about the Lord of the Rings movies! This movie has some moments that literally took my breath away. When Kong is fighting to save the girl from being a dino snack he almost has an Indiana Jones-esque hero aura about him.

Do yourself a favor and check this one out. Be warned that it is very scary and might not work for kids under 13 (there is one particularly nasty scene that I'm surprised didn't make it an R) and it does run over 3 hours.

Kevin

3. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I'm really trying to keep an open mind on this one... but I still have to ask, "did we really need another King Kong movie?"

I would have been more pleased if it ended with King Kong winning for a change! ;-)

4. Kevin Hilman

Kevin Hilman Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT
    ROGERIO...I think we were due for another King Kong movie. Considering the other movies were from 1933 and 1976 I think it was an appropriate time to re-make this movie for today's kids.

Also, with such photo-realistic special effects it's neat to see what this story might have looked like had it actually happened. And the beauty of the movie is that Kong loses. With his defeat the movie is now a action, romance, tragedy. There's a little something for everybody in this one.[/quote]

5. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    I hear ya Kevin.

It's just that when you consider the millions of dollars that go into making a movie... and then the coutless number of stories (novels) still not told on the screen... it makes you wonder...

I'm sure it's a great presentation... I just had to get my 2 cents in there about Hollywood's addiction to certain plots... and their unwillingness to explore.

I must admit though that I went to see the new Pride and Prejudice with my wife and I loved it. And there has been many versions of that too. Highly recommend that one... no violence, no sex scenes. Very witty. An intelligent production with superb acting.

I guess I was just making trouble... ;-)