King Legend 2220 Cornet

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by drKmod, Feb 13, 2004.

1. drKmod

drKmod New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Okla. City, OK
    I've added a horn to my collection. This is a shepherd's crook, .462 bore with 1st and 3rd triggers. It has gold plate on the bell and lead pipe. Beautiful horn and sounds good, too. Not much on the TH or TM about these horns. This one appears to have been built in 2002. Doesn't appear to have anything wrong with it. Some additional engraving on the inside of the bell....don't know why. Sounds good, though.

Don

2. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    How does it play and slot, Don? I've seen the horn advertised over on the WoodWind/BrassWind site and it's a beautiful horn. I really like the engraving inside the bell although it is just for decoration.

My daughter plays a King 603/Tempo---good horn, good solid sound but a bit too hard for me to blow and the high register is hard to get up too. I have a choice this next year of restoring my Conn Director or looking for another cornet. One of the horns that I would like to try would be that King Legend to see how it compares to the 603, so any feedback is appreciated.

Bill

3. drKmod

drKmod New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    Okla. City, OK
    To W Scott. The mouthpiece that came with the horn is definitely a deep or V cup. I have been using a Curry 5DC for a big, warm sound. The UMI 7BG? doesn't allow me much above C above staff. So far the slotting is good because I slur a lot of things. I solo most stuff so I can do what I want. The valves are not broken in yet and are still tight. The UMI oil that came with it will be replaced with Al Cass or something Blue. So far I am very happy with it. It looks Great! Sounds Great and the case is good. I was getting ready to go to Phoenix and try the Kanstul 1530 when this was presented at too good a price to turn down. The next horn I was going to try was the Courtois 106. So I guess I have found the horn I am going to try to make work for me. I was used to the .470 for the big sound but the .462 is doing just fine. I will check out other mpcs til I find the right combo. Good Luck in your search.....

Don

4. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Thanks Don! Sounds like the horn is an upgraded version of the 604/Tempo and is a lot like the horn my daughter has. I've never had a cornet that would go much more than C above the staff---but you might try changing the mouthpiece. I use a Schilke 15a4a for just about everything.

Bill