"King Mini Liberty Trumpet - Holy Grail Of Trumpets" on Ebay - 7/21/2013

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Osren, Jul 21, 2013.

1. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Old thread but it needed clarification.

That is definitely not a King mini piccolo in the Blood Sweat and Tears video. it looks like a Selmer or a Selmer clone. Bell is the wrong shape, finger buttons look like Selmer.

That is the King mini. It doesn't look much like horn in the BS&T video except that it is a 3 valve piccolo.

True Tone likes this.
  2. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Cool little trumpets. I've seen a few in various condition in person. Didn't realize they fo for $4000 these days

3. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown

Wow!

4. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Could have bought one in the 90's but I thought it was overpriced at $2500 then, oops. I know someone who paid ≈ $1500 about the same time period.

Brassman64 likes this.
  5. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Brian Moon you were right 2500 in the 90's which was 20 years ago i reckon would translate into 7000 in todays money. I think you were wise to hold off. Although inflation calculators say that 2500 in 1990 would be worth 4700 today so what do I know.

I still think you were wise.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    Brassman64, True Tone and tobylou8 like this.
  6. Efig

Efig Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    Long Island
    Josh Landress has one at his shop here in NYC.

Brassman64 and True Tone like this.
  7. Brassman64

Brassman64 Piano User

May 13, 2017
    Torrance,California
    Is this it?

tobylou8 likes this.
  8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Even with a professional playing it, it sounds like .... , you know! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

9. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    The words you are groping for are it sounds like utter sh1te.

A holy grail trumpet should sound better than a duck farting. I would say rather than 6000 dollars this isnt worth 6 dollars. I have a 15 dollar cornet that sounds way better.

Lets have formula 1 and Indy 500 drivers compete in circus clown cars if we desire novelty toys above state of the art instruments.

Or am I being disrespectful and too negative about a highly respected symphonic instrument here.

tobylou8 likes this.
  10. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Mini Libertys were built as gifts for artists and higher ups in the company. They were meant to be playable, but not really to be played regularly. The reason they go for so much is that there are so few of them, and they are historic instruments as well. Owning one is more like owning catalogs, blueprints, or other ephemera from the band instrument industry - you don't get one to play it. They remind me of an antique Steinway salesman sample I saw once - a beautiful tiny piano, perfect in every way, but it sounds like a toy and would never be used in practice or performance. Did I want it? you better believe I did! Do I want a Mini Liberty? I sure do, for the same reason - they're just really cool! Can I justify the price tag? probably not but I can keep dreaming!

Brassman64 and rowuk like this.