King Mini-Trumpets

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Jimi Michiel, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hey all,

Check this out:
    http://www.hnwhite.com/Mini trumpets.htm
    These are actual working instruments, albeit a small fraction the size of even a piccolo trumpet. When I was working on my senior recital last year, I was really getting stressed out so my teacher brought on of these into a lesson and had me try it out just to get my mind of the task at hand for a moment. It's almost comical how small they are. I had to hold it with two fingers on my left hand and make sure that I was very precise when pressing down the buttons.

-Jimi

2. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Wow...Those are cool looking. They all seem to be from back in the day. I wonder if King still makes them now???? :dontknow:

3. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Wow that is really cool! I'd love to try one of those. I wonder if they are like pocket trumpets :think:

4. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

They are piccolos.

5. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

No, they don't.

6. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

King never sold these little gems to the public, but Mr. White gave 'em as gifts to their artists, friends, vendors, etc. Possibly less than 100 were ever made in the '30's and '40s.

They came trimmed out to look like King's full size trumpet of the year the mini was made and I have seen a couple of different looks.

I, like everyone else on the planet who knows about 'em, would love to have one. They play very well and could definately be used in place of a standard Bb (only) piccolo trumpet.

I think the horn would be a hit, though with a modest market, if it were re-introduced. The HN White company was sold decades ago though to UMI so don't expect this little puppy to have offspring.

The whole horn, including their stock mouthpieces, were scaled down! I know one guy who had Warburton make him custom backbores that fit his TWO minis. Here I'm playing one of those two, at a collector's meeting in 2002. Great playing "piccolo!"

[​IMG]

Tom Turner
    Vintage Horns Forum Moderator

7. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    When did Al Hirt play a mini trumpet :dontknow: Sorry could'nt resist as soon as as I saw your pic he came to mind...All n fun ROFL

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I WANT ONE!!!

ML

9. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    :D I want one 2!
    i love that carcker jack prize in a box size!
    probley plays like butter.
    Tom what,s the tone like?

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    They'd make a perfect stocking stuffer...