King Silver Flair Value ?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PA.Brad, Oct 16, 2013.

1. PA.Brad

PA.Brad New Friend

Oct 16, 2013
    Hi All
    I have a 1969 King Silver Flair that I have owned since new (serial # 426767) I haven't played the trumpet in many years and it is time to find it a new home. Before I go through the appraisal process, can anyone give me an estimate of what the value range should be for this horn in good/excellent condition? I have the sales receipt, King paperwork,as well as the original case.
    Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

2. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    As you describe it; good/excellent condition (no or minimal dents/dings, plating 100%, valves excellent) I would say $650-$900 based on what I've seen them sell for on Ebay.

You can do a search on Ebay for past sales that might be more accurate.

I think that being a well regarded vintage trumpet in excellent condition for sale by original owner, with original case, and paperwork in would add to the value if I were buying.

Rgds,
    Bob

3. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    One other thought.....

If you are researching price, be sure that you are using prices of the pre 1980 model 1055T King Silver Flair, and not the later model 2055 King Silver Flair which are a completely different trumpet and are priced very differently..........

4. PA.Brad

PA.Brad New Friend

Oct 16, 2013
    Bob, Thank you for your reply. I don't usually think about Ebay for items like this. I did a quick search and found a few. The price range went from around $300 in poor condition to over $1200 in good condition. Mine has no dings or scratches so I assume it will fall into the higher end.
    Thank you again
    Brad

5. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    If you can post pictures for us to see would be great. The clearer the better. Also, everyone looks at things differently so that factor comes into play as well. If your trumpet is in pristine original condition. I would say it is in the top price range which I wont even dare put up. That all depends on the buyer and what he is willing to pay for it. If you are looking to maximize your take. I would post it on ebay, describe the trumpet in as much detail as possible and insert pictures of all original documentation and show the horn disassembled whith emphasis on valve condition. Good luck. You have yourself a great trumpet there.

6. PA.Brad

PA.Brad New Friend

Oct 16, 2013
    I took some photos this evening but they really didn't come out very well because of the flash. I will take some tomorrow outside and hopefully get them posted so you can see it. It has not been played in over 40 years but I do take it out occasionally to oil the valves and slides. As I mentioned there are no dings,dents or scratches on the horn.
    I live in Northeast Pennsylvania and am having a hard time finding anyone who does appraisals close by. If need be, I am only 1.5 hours away from NYC and I am sure with a little research I can find a reputable appraiser to take it to there.
    I will try to get the photos up tomorrow and thank you for your reply to my post.

7. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I too live in northeast pa. Feel free to mp me if you want, maybe we could meet and I could evaluate your horn for you.

8. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Looking forward to seeing those pictures soon. Also, to drive 1.5 hours for an appraisal is a bit much. Lets say your horn is a closet queen. I would say you could try selling it for the higher end of price say, $900-$1200. That wuld be top dollar and only to someone who is specifically looking for that horn. I got mine in mint condition for $700 with the original case and all the factory paperwork included. My horn has the plastic valve guides. But the valve action on it is fantastic. Remove one of your valves and see if you have the metal guides?

9. PA.Brad

PA.Brad New Friend

Oct 16, 2013
    Thank you to everyone who was kind enough to offer me guidance. I created a photobucket album link with a few photos of my horn. I am afraid that photography is something else that needs to be added to my list of things I need to improve on, but hopefully you can see that the horn is as I described.

king-1.jpg Photo by alberbra | Photobucket

Brad

10. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Hi Brad,

She looks to be a mighty fine horn. Are you convinced on selling it? Why not give it a comeback trial and see about getting into a community band. You'll be surrounded by your fellow trumpet playing peers.