King Tutankhamun's Trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TrumpetMD, Feb 21, 2015.

1. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Interesting video of King Tutankhamun's trumpets being played on a 1939 radio broadcast by James Tappern.

Two trumpets were discovered among the artifacts back in 1922, one silver and one bronze. I wonder if they argued 3000 years ago whether the bronze one produced a warmer tone? ;-)

According to a Wiki article (Tutankhamun's trumpets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), one of the trumpets was stolen during the 2011 Egyptian revolution, but was eventually returned. More information on them can be found here (BBC News - Recreating the sound of Tutankhamun's trumpets).

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt9AyV3hnlc

2. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    That's pretty cool Doc, thanks for sharing.

I wonder if they were found with a Papyrus version of Arban's......;-)

3. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Very cool, Mike! Thank you for posting the link!

Jim

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I one exists, I wonder if the preface includes a warning from an ancient Egyptian teacher about not playing the cornet, because it's just a "foreign fad"? ;-)

(Similar to the letter Clarke sent to Benge -- Herbert L. Clarke On Jazz)

Mike

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Quite fascinating, Mike. I suppose if they were smart enough to build the pyramids we shouldn't be too surprised that they could make a decent stab at a natural trumpet.

Many thanks!

6. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina

Awwww, they had the Israelite Ensemble play for the Pharoah after their 20 hour day building the pyramids. The Israelites BUILT them, the Egyptians enjoyed the show from the shade. Or so I imagine.

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I think one of them was broken by a player, who died a thousand deaths for the rest of his life. There was, then, certain trepidations about playing the other one.