KK's music store

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lezwoymn, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    I recently bought a pocket trumpet from this store, which was an ad on TM. It was about $130 and made my cecilio, which, I know isn't a great brand. I didn't have the money to get a jean bastiste from Sam Ash, so, I said ok. It shipped very promptly. When I opened the box, I could see that the case that was showed on their site was not the case I received. Ok. the trumpet looked good. The valves were sticky, but it was cold, so, I used it some. I have to say, it has an amazing sound and no backpressure whatsoever. I looked in the bell and could see this must have been sitting somewhere in a basement for a long while. The valves seem to have broken in some. I know you get what you pay for, but just a little warning if anyone goes to this online store. :dontknow:

2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    What else did you expect for $130.00?
    Gold plate and diamond finger buttons?

3. omelet

omelet Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2007
    charleston, sc
    if it sounds amazing im not sure what the rproblem is
    just that you didn't get the same case?
    what was in the bell that you could tell it was in someone's basement?

4. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    Hey, don't get snippy about what do u expect king! I'm permanently disabled. I try and do the best I can with what little money I have. You all have jobs or what not. This was supposedly a new trumpet from a retail store. What I"m saying is they use deceptive practices to sell. You can tell if there is moisture in a bell for a long time, like the store's inventory was below ground. I dind't ask for your opinion stchasking. It was just a word to the wise, and since the store was advertised on this site, other ppl might use it.

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The ads that come from Google aren't necessarily endorsed by Trumpet Master. Google uses words that appear frequently on the website to find ads that suit the site.

6. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    Seems to be a better deal than I would have figured, actually. What was wrong with the case?

Have you tried it with a cornet mouthpiece?

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hey Lez,
    thanks for the warning.

The definition of new can be everything from "never played" to "never been out of the case". Depending how these things were bought by the music store, the case may have been originally shipped separately. I have seen "new" instruments in the original plastic bags that were dusty though. This must have come this way from the factory.

Have you given the seller a chance to comment on the horn/case/sale? That would be my first action BEFORE publishing a warning about bad business practice. Maybe they would even be cooperative.......

8. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    I wrote a review on their site, which cause it wasn't positive, they refuse to post it. I would have called them up and they probably would have said to return it, but, I didn't have the money to ship it back. Obviously,if I did, I would have gotten it elsewhere. It does play lovely though. The valves seem to have broken in, but, I have no doubt the trumpet has been sitting for quite some time as one of the valve casings, that goes around the spring, had rust on it. I just wanted to let ppl know, especially ppl who are on a budget, it's a good horn but, that it might have been sitting someplace for quite some time.

9. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    I meant the case that it comes in. The case they show online is hard plastic. The case I got was wood with vinyl. I just think what I got was an older or discontinued version. Just something like that isn't right. But, overall, I love the trumpet. I"m gonna try and get a snake and try to give the insides a good scraping. Is there anything besides water I can use to try and get the gunk out, besides a professional cleaning?? Maybe I can do that at a later time, when money is less tight.

10. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    The case that came with my free Chinese trumpet was made out of "hard plastic." Wood would have been stronger. And classier.

You can use dish detergent, a mild solution in warm water, to wash it.

I've been thinking, if I use the time it would take to write out why I want an intimidatingly excellent trumpet I'd always be afraid of damaging and then keep logging onto TM for a month and instead do a couple of extra little jobs I could simply buy one of these and have something I could put in a backpack and take over to the lake early in the morning. (Come spring.) I'll wait until they have a red one, I think.