Knock-down practice booth idea?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdostie, Feb 4, 2011.

1. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I am trying to think of a cheap solution for a practice booth in my garage. To put it bluntly, my wife hates hearing me practice, and it's demotivating . . .

I had thought of building a booth with traditional walls and carpet on the walls to dampen the sound, but she's not too thrilled with the idea of putting something in there that can't be taken down if she decides she want to park the car in the garage . . . So I'm thinking of something that can be taken down . . . What about just simple pvc framing holding up a couple layers of shipping blankets (all of this is reasonably cheap), and I could effectively hang the shipping blankets like shower curtains on the PVC . . . How much do you think that would knock down the sound?

It's in a garage, so obviously there is an additional wall between the practice area and the house, or a garage door and the street level, but the hope, of course would be that I would not have to worry about bothering anyone - or for that matter - embarrasing myself when I am working on something I find difficult.

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    It all depends on how much sound is still too much. A trumpet is going to be difficult to absorb. It could be easier to get a new wife who supports your hobby, after all, your not drinking, smoking or fooling around. Skiing, golfing or bar hopping all cost money and could be far less productive than a good workout on the horn. Its just my opinion, but I find it hard to simpithize with people who dont like music to the point of limiting others right to play. Now, yes I think rap sucks, but I know that there are lovers of it who call it music, so I tollerate it. If you practice durring reasonable hours You are certainly better than the Honda Civic with the megaphone pipes that just went down the street. And dont be concerned about those tough spots embarassing you, shake it off! Best wishes.

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    jdotsie,

I am VERY sympethic to your situation. I am in the identical situation. I don't find it demotivating per se. I refuse to stop because at nearly 50, the trumpet is cheaper than a sports car and less damaging to the marriage than having an affair. I think at some level my wife knows that.

My solution has been to practice the worse parts of my routine at work. I have a brutal long tone exercise that when I go above the stave make my dog cry when I practice them at home on the weekends. At night when I am at home, I perform Clarks Studies which should be play very softly anyways. She "tolerates" that OK. But, I think what really helps is she knows the huge effort I make to practice at work.

There is always the practice mute, too. I use that when I need to practice music and fingering is more important than sound.

I feel your pain, dude.

BrotherBACH

4. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    jdostie,
    Have you thought about trying the Silent Brass System? Yamaha makes one. There are some other brands that are cheaper. It would cost less than rebuilding the garage and the wife can still park her car.
    Good Luck
    Bobby

5. mrbill00

mrbill00 Pianissimo User

Apr 20, 2009
    Middle of Georgia
    put the car in garage
    get in the backseat of the car
    close the door
    practice all you want
    ...free...

6. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    Just don't use the spit valve.
    There's no fury like a woman’s scorn.:-)
    -Bobby

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Insulate the garage walls, line it with tile, buy your wife an IPod and tell her when you are going to practice. If she doesn't want to listen, fine. She can listen to something else on the IPod, and turn up the volume as need be.

You want to hear yourself practice in as good an acoustic environment as possible, but some sound is going to leak out. Official Vulgano response: "Waah!"

As earlier posts have indicated you are not taking on a mistress or a sports car.

Win-win.

If she still presses the issue, invite her to join TM and present her side. I'll bet some of our members will invite their spouses to join and answer.

This could be the best thing since the Cage!

Good luck!

Schwab likes this.
  8. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    That just cracked me up!

Re: the silent brass, I have one and am not a fan, I prefer my best brass mute, but prefer no mute at all - except as required for the desired sound. I am not sufficiently advanced that practicing with a mute is as productive as without . . . it feels different, it sounds different, etc.

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I got a divorce and a few years later married a woman who says, on my way to bed, "-but you haven't practiced yet."

I can blow my horn as long as I want and she will go to sleep. But sometimes she calls down, "when are you coming up?"

Additionally, I found a place near work where I can use a practice room at lunchtime, for $50/year.

10. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    While I practice in the basement, I too had thought about making a removable practice nook. I imagined taking half inch plywood panels, fixing solid foam panels to them and then accoustic tiles to the interior of the sandwiched panels. You could fasten two panels to a corner of the garage and leave them there, and then afix the other two panels to those, with another panel for the roof. Naturally, you will need ventilation and light, from which holes in the panels, sound will seep through, but it should dampen it enough to appease your wife.