Knock-down practice booth idea?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jdostie, Feb 4, 2011.

1. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    If only America were a trumpet friendly country like Mexico ....

I had thought of buying a small motorhome so I could just drive it somewhere to practice but decided instead to build a "soundproofed storage shed practice temple". It won't be cheap but the building industry has a lot of new, more soundproof, building materials. My definition of "soundproof" is going to be 5 am LOUD practice with impunity. Check out Home Depot, they may have inexpensive materials that can be used to rig up something.

Try telling the wife you've decided to switch to the DRUMS and see if she doesn't soften on your trumpet practice.;-)

Turtle

Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  2. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Try practicing in your car that is parked in your garage. It should reduce the sound by at least half.

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    At the care dealer:

"No, not legroom. Bellroom. Bell .... room. Let me see the minivans."

"Oh, you have kids?"

"I have horns."

Turtle

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  5. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    Your problem is not just to contain sound, but to eliminate heat, and those two objectives are at odds with each other. The human body sheds heat at about 100W at rest – and more than that when you are practicing – and although that may not seem like a lot, in a small space it will build up rapidly.

So the more sound-proof you are, the more important a ventilation system will be.

6. leftmid7

leftmid7 Mezzo Piano User

Sep 21, 2010
    Franklin, TN
    my wife will actually sits in the same room while I practice sometimes(in a room with a hardwood floor no less) and plays puzzle computer games.

the only thing she can't handle is when I'm doing repetition range stuff C above the staff and higher which is totally understandable.

and she calls trumpet playing with a harmon mute, sexy trumpet...;)

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

She could give seminars to other more challenged trumpet wives. You'd have lots of clients too ..... Guys would pass up the next trumpet for a wife upgrade.:play:

Turtle

8. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I can't believe y'all left this go this long.......sound-proof the laundryroom, put a lock on the door. That way she can finish up the laundry while you practice, unlock the door when you're finished practicing.........ROFL

9. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    That's funny, got half through th last post thinking the laundry room is about the same size as a practice booth, then he switched it up on me.

Guys, married almost 23 years - didn't find out she doesn't like brass until I started a comeback a few years back. Not gonna give her up, but do need to find a mutually satisfying solution . . . Several possibilities posted already.

Thanks