Knock on effect???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, Apr 16, 2010.

1. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys, i've recently been wondering if i've been playing 'too high to early' when practicing. my routine consists of buzzing well in advance of me even looking at the horn! then when i eventually feel like my lips are 'supple' i do a steady 'perfect 5th' warm up starting on 2nd line g in the staff descending using all 7 valve combinations. after wards i start my practice with ex 1 (low long tones) in the vizzutti book, followed by the last long tone exercise (no 8 i think) which i find quite demanding and try to play with a full fat tone. after playing this exercise i have quite considerable lip swelling which doesn't really go down for the rest of my hour session. could this be playing to high too early?? any comments would be much appreciated to help sort out this 'blip' in my playing at the moment.

Peace NYCO10

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Methinks you are just trying too hard to pack everything into the hour, and the worst being that you are playing longer than 20 minutes without following such with a 20 minute rest. Endurance takes TIME to develop. How many years do you think it takes for a pro to develop the endurance to play an hour when s/he then takes a break?

If you were to just take a finger and press your lip firmly against your teeth for an hour, the consequence would be just as devastating, thus high notes or low notes doesn't much matter.

3. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    If you have to ask then the chances are, you are "playing too high too early".

4. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    You're trying too hard and could do yourself an injury that may permanently destroy your lip. Stop worrying so much about playing ultra high on the register. Little music is written or played up there.
    Dr. Mike:thumbdown:

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I think it might be playing too loud too soon, I find it's not playing in the upper register too early but playing it, or for that matter anything else too loud too soon. You said you play long tones with a full fat tone, this could be doing more harm than good, by spreading the embouchure ,which usually results in using more pressure then we think we're using.Rest as long as play ,don't keep going to the point of exhaustion,never push volume 100% always keep something in reserve, playing too loud will kill endurance quicker than playing high.

6. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I think you've just sorted my problem! now i think about it, i start in the low register very quiet pp and then i'm giving it the full guns by the time im at the hith register! i this a case of 'blowing my lip'?

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Keeping in mind the fact that I'm certainly no world class player, it would seem to me that if you listen closely, your body is screaming something at you - something you are doing is not right.

I really only practice for maintenance anymore, but I've gotten away from a structured practice. I pick up the horn and warm up for a few minutes, mainly by playing through my circle of 5ths scales:

Majors, 1-octave, ascending
    Majors, 1-octave, ascending and descending
    Minors, 1-octave, ascending and descending

Sometimes I'll add some light articulation stuff, mainly in the staff, just to promote focus, but then I'll put the horn down completely for 10-15 minutes and go do something else. Then when I come back, I do various things - whatever seems to need work at the moment, whether it's articulation, flexibility, or if there is some piece of music I have to learn or brush up. My practicing is gig-centric and structured so that I can best meet the playing and musical needs of the gig, and that's as often an athletic event as it is a musical one.

Ultimately for me it's less about the technical and more about the musical, so my practice is structure that way. FWIW, I have no chops issues like what you have described.

So, break up your practicing in to smaller bites and rest often - that by itself should help.

8. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Just for the record thats not all i do in my routine, the longtones described above are the first thing i do. followed by lip flexibilities, tonguing (S,D,T) etc

9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Yes.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Sometimes I really get the urge to delete posts on high notes where the player obviously knows better...........................

The brainlessness of blowing out ones lips really does not need further comment.