Knowing Your Instrument

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lgeis, May 16, 2009.

1. lgeis

lgeis New Friend

May 10, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    What is the purpose of the adustable slide (bottom, left ring or pinky finger stirrup) slide on a Bb trumpet? Mine has one, but I've never seen a reference on what it does or how to use it, though I've seen folks who manipulate it during play. It seems they use it primarily in the lower register... Thanks!

2. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    In general the low C# (one ledger line below the staff) and the D just above it are notoriously sharp. Therefore we use the 3rd slide to bring them down into tune. It can also be used for some of the higher notes to help bring them down into pitch if the player needs to bring them down.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    When playing the trumpet, there are several tones that are not perfectly in tune. In the beginning, our breath support and sound are not that hot so lipping the pitch into place can't really be heard. The better we get, the more obvious it is when we lip the tone up or down - the sound gets fuzzier or thinner. When we use the slide to make the trumpet the exact right length for that tone, our sound gets better and we don't have to work as hard - increasing endurance.

Each of the slides are exactly the correct length when used alone, when we start to combine, they are too short. The slide gives us the power to fix that.

Long tone intervals with a buddy will teach you how much is necessary fastest!

4. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    So basically it's used for tuning notes that use those valves when they sound sharp.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Correct!
    Also worth getting a metronome/tuner as the next step.
    The metronome to help with tempo and the tuner to indicate the tuning of each note played. They're cheap, and will improve your ear. You will always use it for tuning your instrument, so a good investment.
    Cheers