Korg PXR4 Recorder

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Alex Yates, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Korg PXR4

http://www.korg.com/gear/images/products/info/info_PXR4.jpg

Does anyone have experience with this piece of equipment? I mainly want to know if the recording quality is very high or just so-so. I need something to record high quality and be portable. Looking through numerous players, this is the one left standing. It records onto a flash card and has the capability to be downloaded to the computer and burned to a CD. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks Greg! It looks like it will do the job that I need just fine. BTW, I guess I am getting a decent deal because I am not paying what most of the reviewers paid. LOL. Also, smart cards have come down in price. This unit is supposed to handle 90 minutes at the highest quality with the 128K. That will be good enough.

3. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Recorders

You might want to try a look at the Edirol R-1 digital recorder. It sounds similar but has very fine internal stereo microphones (outboard mics can be used as well.) Uses a flash card memory system and is easy to use and has many features for setting up a recording session.

I am using mine in practice sessions as well as with our quintet.

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

4. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey Bill, those are really nice, but a bit out of my price range. (The Korg is an early bday present, so there was a limit on how much it could cost). The Edirol received some serious consideration though. It looks like a very sharp unit. If the Korg doesn't work well enough for me, I am sure I will end up with the Edirol one way or another. LOL. Thanks.

5. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Edirol R-1

I found the Edirol on line for various amounts. Same Day had it at one time for about $400. Some places were a little higher. Up to about $480

The more I use it the more I like it. You would need to get a larger capacity flash card eight 1 or 2 gigs would be best.

This would add to the price. Some others that I know who purchased other digital recorders (portable) ended up selling them and getting the Edirol.

NO! I do not work for the company. Our trombone in quintet had one and sold me on it for my own personal use.

Take care...

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I agree, that Edirol is nice. I don't need all of the fancy stuff on the Korg, but I am getting it for $240 with an extra 128K card. If the recording quality is not what I want, I have the option to return it. We shall see what happens, eh? Thanks again for the heads up on the Edirol.

7. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    I've been thinking about the Edirol R-1 because the mix of portability, no moving parts, direct MP3, and high quality it provides is appealing. Still, I have not been quite ready to shell out the money for it, so I can see why you're opting for the Korg, Alex.

Along this line, I thought I'd pass along some news I read today. This week Edirol announced that they are releasing a similar model that's quite a bit smaller and slightly cheaper. It looks to have most of the same core features, but with fewer effects built in. You can read about the new model R-09 at http://www.edirol.net/products/en/R-09/.

I'm both encouraged to see incremental iprovement and convinced that I will buy this type of device someday. Now I just need to figure out when to jump in buy one.

8. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Flash Card limits

Alex....even with an extra 128K flash card the time limits can be a problem if you wish to record a full rehearsal or practice session. If you want to do isolated phrases or excerpts it might be fine at the lower mp3 settings.

WAV files take much more memory so the time limits are accordingly less.

Good luck...

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey Bill, I hear ya. For now I am just making some audition recordings and practice sessions. I will, however, want to record my recitals coming up in the spring. That R-09 that Matt brought to our attention might be a good alternative. It seems as though they are available now, but where? LOL. I find information, but no "buy it now" button. LOL. Well, once I receive the Korg, I might just leave it wrapped and send it back. I will see what I can do, armed with this information, to justify getting the Edirol. ;-)