L.A. Benge Resno-Bell

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Heavens2kadonka, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Acquired it in a trade last Saturday. Raw brass, needed some cleaning.

So, sitting outside, I was brasso-ing happily, when I noticed the brass was COMING OFF. Underneath, a silvery metal. I'm thinking nickel. Very neat.

Any info on the Benge Resno bell?

Van

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Van,

Are you sure the bell doesn't say "Resno-Tempered Bell" or some variation thereof? Most, if not all, vintage Benges have bell engraving that includes the Resno-Tempered bit. There should be a number on the bell, or on the ferrule where the bell attaches to the first valve, that states exactly what model you might have.

As far as the silvery metal you found in your buffing, I have no explanation. I was under the impression that all Benges had brass bells.

3. Trumpet Hobo

Trumpet Hobo Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2005
    Minnesota
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :-o

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    you werent mistaking brass with gold plating by chance? I know it seems like a stupid question but dirty gold can look like brass and gold does have a nickel undercoating.

5. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    "Resno-Tempered Bell

Custom Built by
    E. Benge
    Los Angeles, Calif."

No other markings on the bell. Really tight, sharp flare, but the bore is just .463 (Had it measured)

It may just be nasty gold. I'm wanting to strip it down raw, and go from there.

Thanks for the help already. This is a very interesting bell the guy I traded for had left hanging on one of his basement pipes for about ten years!!!

Van

6. Z4ME

Z4ME New Friend

May 22, 2005
    Perhaps it is a CG model bell. TheCG bells did not have a number stamped at the usual Benge location.

It is also likely that it is a tarnished gold plated over silver plated bell made of yellow brass. Try using a good quality polishing cloth for silver plated and gold plated surfaces.

:roll:

DJ

7. Wildman

Wildman Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2005
    Man don't strip gold!

That's just insane!

8. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Bah, the gold is already 50% off. :D

But this is really interesting. I someone acquired a Claude Gordon Benge Resno-Tempered bell. I cant wait to get this sucker hooked up to something. Should be able to peel paint.

Van

9. ALaschiver

ALaschiver Guest

Benge

The markings on the bell have to do with the one piece constuction.
    Brasso on a horn is an incredible mistake. If the horn was gold, a bigger mistake. You had a good horn. Get the horn sent to a good shop and returned to new condition. Keep your hands off the horn and throw away the brasso.

Alan Laschiver

10. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    *Slaps forehead*

Okay, I'll give the story.

I found this bell (not horn) hanging off of a pipe in the basement of the fellow I had create my frankenhorn. Nasty looking, but no dents dings or signs of red rot. SO, I picked it up.

THINKING THE BELL WAS RAW BRASS, I started brasso-ing. Suddenly, the color changed to silver. Now I figure out that I have a gold horn, that was just so nasty with age it looked like brass.

So now I have a bell that looks like a Zebra.

So please, no one else try and tell me that I'm making a mistake. Gold means about as much to me as silver and lacquer.

Van