L. Welk is smokin' tonight....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by A.N.A. Mendez, Mar 10, 2012.

1. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Working on the islands? Tough job...trade you?

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    "in living color.". Mendez, we are showing our ages.

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Speak for yourself young man! I heard my grandpa use that term.....:-?

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Well, not really working ON the island. The work part is in getting there. After I'm there it's chill time...Mai Tai, anyone?

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    To what address to we send condolences to the family?

[Could not resist, the way you worded this it sounds like he body is lying in resting]

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I had my own fantasies involving the Lennon sisters... It involved bubbles... Nothing else but bubbles... I have Herb Alperts Album Cover to blame for THAT fantasy...

Hay, I was a typical young American in the midst of Tanner Development... Tell me none of you had Lennon Sister fantasies!!

7. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    Is it live...or was it Memorex? How much of the LW show was actually a live broadcast? Most of the electric guitar work (solos / duets) I've seen on YouTube was obviously dubbed. No patch cords, no guitar amps, and this was way before wireless was available. Buddy Merrill and Neil LeVang show great finger work though. Was the band live broadcast?

8. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    That is a good question. I never even considered it might be dubbed. A live big band was, I figured, live. All those people dancing...ghee that could bust a lot of those bubbles.

9. Jackson Arch

Jackson Arch Piano User

Mar 6, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Great Stuff, LW. We need a revolution to bring back the Big Bands...and, that Whipped Cream and Other Delights...I might still have that album (cover) around here somewheres.

10. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    he usually had a theme and I remember [while my wife and I were visiting my folks] one night was Disco night. he led the band off with "a one ana twoa get down ana get funky", I cracked up but my parents really thought he was cool. always enjoyed the big band stuff and Joanne Castle playing honkey tonk on the piano.