La Cucaracha

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sethoflagos, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Got the feeling that it was about time the Yamaha got its annnual bath and polish.

So I stripped it down completely, left the chassis and slides to soak in a large bowl of hot soapy water for a couple of hours and set to cleaning up the valves and water keys.

Not finished yet, but I'd brushed through the tubes and done with the water so I emptied the bowl. I don't normally get too much gunge coming out, but on this occasion one of the scoops came up with a rather impressive but quite dead bush cricket.

Could have been worse I suppose. I wouldn't want to find the remains of one of our resident wall geckos in there.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    O.K. now how does it sonically compare to your other horns?

3. BernArt

BernArt Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Merida, Mexico
    I got one, a baby one, inside my cornet last year. It got stuck and died on my third valve slide.
    La cucaracha (with or without) certainly makes a difference don't you think? :roll:

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I guess something must have told me it needed a clean.

Not sure your question is a serious one on this occasion, but now that it's free of livestock, it sounds just like an instrument with a heavyish weight, slow flare bell should: noble, clear and assertive.

If I want it's stablemates to match that traditional purity of tone, I've to work at them a bit - some more than others. The nearest match I've played recently was the Schilke S22 HD which both Barliman and I were very impressed by on our recent visit to Votruba.

If I had the opportunity to go back in time 40 years and relive playing those wonderful trumpet solos in Sibelius' 1st symphony, this is the trumpet I'd want to take back with me. But if I had to do the Guys and Dolls gig as well, I'd have to do some head scratching and soul-searching. The faster response of the Wild Thing and more exotic palette of the Inderbinen would have to be considered.

5. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Haha, lol. I thought the 50+ years of grunge I cleaned out of the Buescher last night was bad. I'd hate to find dead insects in my horns. Did any playing characteristics change?

The worst thing I've found was what appears to be half an o-ring gasket in tte backbore of my 14A4a with a copious amount of calcification on it. I don't play this piece very often because of the compromise of low register, so that might explain how it was able to stay in there for so long.

6. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    When I got my collegiate cornet there was a dead spider in valve two, in my baritone that played a little stuffy I decided to clean it out and out from deep in the bell windings came an old brown jersey glove with a ton of green scale. The bari played beautifully after that

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    And now I've got a mental vision of some bell-mounted semi-automatic livestock loading mechanism to give "The Flight of the Bumblebee" (or "Green Hornet" :evil:) a little touch of reality. I believe Gordonfurr should be consulted.

8. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    In 26 years of gr 7 and 8 instrumental, this is probably the most notable, and it happened early on. This kid brings me his trumpet. "Mr. H, there's something wrong with my trumpet." The second and third valves were stuck out of line and would only move a tiny bit. Clearly the valves were not jammed, but I could remove neither of them. To make a long story short, some little darlin' had pulled the third slide, inserted a pencil back through the casings and then put the slide back on. :evil:

9. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Inventive little imp wasn't he:lol::roll::oops: