La Virgen de la Macarena

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Graham, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Graham

Graham Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    I was poking around on wikipedia and google and stuff, and it seems that I can't really come up with much in terms of the actual history and context of this piece.

So far, as far as I can tell, this tune is originally a traditional bullfighting piece, resurrected and arranged by Raphael Mendez.

Can anyone give me some decent information about this piece? I'm intending to play it, and I'd like to know what I'm sinking my teeth into in terms of historic value!

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Senora Nuestra de la esperanza de la Macarena was a patron saint of Macarena ,Seville , Spain , to whom the matadors would pray to before entering the arena. I don't know if this is fact ,but it is what was told to me 45 years ago.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
  4. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Now there's a piece that would wake up the congregation early on Sunday morning! Not sure how it would sound with pipe organ though? ;)

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    piping hot!

6. Heelum

Heelum Pianissimo User

Jan 19, 2009
    Sydney Aus.
    Ok this has to stop.....Rowuk is cracking funnies !!

7. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    I played this in church, together with the church organ! Sounded cool, but not too popular amongs the "heavy" christian people :-)

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Heelum - often he does, mostly we just are just so focussed we miss the very subtle humour of the man. Read, assess, understand, giggle. :roll:

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    If it's on Wikipedia it HAS to be true!

“Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world, can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information.”
    Michael Scott

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Heelum,
    actually I am never serious. If that were the case, I would not have stayed long on the internet and surely not have become a moderator. The most fun is when people get excited when I hold a mirror up. When they start to bash me, they just prove the point.

Music is fun and actually, if we start to dig into the music, the technique required becomes secondary. THAT is when the fun starts. Solar is right about wiki though. Still, even for those not familiar with the spanish language, virgins and spanish towns normally mean church.

This piece should truly be played with the respect due to its origins (however poorly or questionably documented) and technical characteristics. If you were playing it for my virgin mom, I would sure want it to be pretty good.