Lack of Motivation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Aug 19, 2005.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Pat- I feel for ya, bud. I've been there a few times myself. Most recently in July. I am also feeling a bit of lack of motivation.

Usually for me, if I start working after a break I pick right back up again. As the distance between my lost audition increases, and my involvement with my students and family remains constant, I can only be reminded of what's really important in my life.

We can look at mistakes as disasters or, as we term them at school "constructive failures" to be learned from. The key is to find the lesson.

I examined my life and the lives of the other candidates and took the opportunity to take stock of the diamonds in my back yard. I am sure you have a few of your own.

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out where the strong stumbled, or how the doer could have done better. The credit belongs to the man in the arena, his face marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and falls short again and again: there is no effort without error. But he who tries, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause, at best knows the triumph of achievement, and at worst, fails while daring. His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt"

Given your old avatar, thought you might find this helpful.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think that the biggest inhibitor, and what caused me to lose it during the audition, was that in taking an honest assessment of my playing and the material I needed to have prepared, I was not ready - I just didn't have enough time to regain all that I have lost since my days of peak technical proficiency.

Last night's rehearsal went well - there are certainly some things that I do well, and I enjoyed playing last night for the sake of playing. My tone and consistency are both vastly improved, and I've just got to keep striving to get better. Something else that probably wouldn't hurt would be to see if I could find some playing opportunities outside of playing miked in a party band in more of a legit setting. What used to be my strength as a player years ago is now one of my weakest areas. A decent legit gig would do wonders for my playing in that area.

Thanks again. I've just got to get the ball rolling again becaus as the saying goes "luck occurs when preparation meets opportunity". If I'm not prepared when the opportunities arise (as happened to me last month) I can't hope to capitalize on them.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Glenn, maybe it's time to break out the old avatar - in some ways, considering what I do on the weekends, I feel like a bit like a trumpet playing gladiator - playing to entertain the masses; not always what I want to play, but always what will keep them entertained nonetheless.

4. Double_G

Double_G Pianissimo User

May 4, 2005
    Gordonsville, TN
    trick,

I know how you feel.I have the worst case of nerves ever...and have never gotten over it. It bothers me that I can't calm myself down enough to play well unless I'm accompanied. If I'm playing a solo in jazz band, as long as my rythmn section keeps playing I'm am perfectly alright. But, if they were to stop, I would burn to the likes of nothing you have ever seen. Just wanted to let yuo know that there is someone out there that is in the same boat with you...all the time. :-(

5. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    I would shake like a leaf when I had to play. I remember times I just had to put the horn down, I couldn't keep the horn going.

I still have leg twitches.

Van

6. Trumpet Hobo

Trumpet Hobo Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2005
    Minnesota
    trickg,

try to think about why you wanted to play the trumpet when you first started. ;-)

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    When I joined band in 5th grade, my school had a powerhouse program, two of my three older sisters were in the band (my sister was a fine trumpet player too) and it was just the thing to do.

I didn't start to stand out among the other kids until halfway through 7th grade, after I had been playing for nearly 3 years.

That being said, at the time I loved playing trumpet because I loved music and at that age (something that you can probably relate to Trumpet Hobo, because you ARE that age) I didn't have a ton of other responsibility, and everything at that stage was improvement.

Now, my ability waxes and wanes, depending on what and how much I practice. However, I played VERY well at the gig last night and I'm looking forward to the gig this afternoon. I've practiced and played quite a bit this week and it seems to have paid off.

I guess I don't have to be a technical monster with fantastic range to be happy playing, just so long as I have endurance and a tight, focused, robust sound. :-)

8. Billy B

Billy B Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2004
    Des Moines, IA
    Kenny Werner's book Effortless Mastery presents some great insight as to why we play music.

Becoming attached to our playing to the point where it defines who we are can be a set up for a huge fall. Self image can be a very missunderstood subject. Our actions can be determined by our self image, or our self image can be determined by our actions. It seems as though you are letting yourself fall into the trap of the later. You are letting your actions (the audition) determine how you feel about yourself and your relationship with the trumpet. A great book that deals with the power of self image is Psycho-Cybernetics by Maxwell Malz.

"Never before have I heard
    such a sad story. You have my complete sympathy. I am deeply moved."
    H.L. Clarke

This may seem like a pretty hard-ass approach by Herbie, but what he is really saying is that the biggest sin is feeling sorry for yourself. So get moving!

Finally, I once again draw a parallel between golf and trumpet. I can have just as much fun at the driving range as on the course. It is a different kind of fun and to be a better golfer I have to do both and enjoy both. A big part of the driving range is that I enjoy seeing the ball fly. I enjoy seeing how accurate I can be pitching and chipping to the hole. An hour or two at the range relaxes my mind and makes me more mentally focused. This is why I practice the trumpet. Not to get ready for a gig, or so I can impress anyone. Of course I have an ego, but the times I can keep that sucker under wraps are the times I perform best, whatever it is I am doing. So let that bruised ego go rather than try to heal it. You don't need it anyway.