lacquer/brushed lacquer

Discussion in 'Horns' started by robbie, Jan 9, 2006.

1. robbie

robbie New Friend

Sep 23, 2005
    hi there

what are the difference in sound between lacquer and brushed lacquer horns.
    is it just cosmetic or does it really make a difference.

thanks.
    R.

2. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    In my opinion and (limited) expirience with both saxes and trumpets, the only person that percieves any difference is the player. No one one the other side of the horn really notices anything, be the finish goldplate, silver, bare brass, etc.

3. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    In my opinion, big differances like silver to laquer makes a bit of a differance, but laquer to brush laquer probably wouldn't make to much of a differance. But thats just comming from a kid whos experience is peanuts to others here at TM.

4. gregc

gregc Mezzo Piano User

Apr 5, 2004
    New York, U.S. of A.
    The only diff I could imagine is perhaps in the thickness of a brushed-on coating as opposed to a thin-skin sprayed job. I'd think tonally the diff would be miniscule.

5. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    No. The lacquer is NEVER brushed on. That would be a complete disaster, to say the least. Brushed-finish is how the metal itself is prepared before the lacquer is sprayed.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    ZOMBIE ALERT!!!! I'm sure the methods have changed in the almost 6 YEARS that have passed since this was asked. Brushed is cool now in some circles.

7. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Not necessarily. The lacquer itself can be given a brushed/matte appearance without scratching the horn, which is a good thing, in my book. Once you scratch a horn, you're stuck with it for life.

Tom

8. mrsemman

mrsemman Piano User

Apr 8, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Some lacquers are tinted to give an aged look. Several of my horns, My Olympus, Flugel, and Cornet, made by Kanstul for Zeus, are the antique, brushed lacquer finish. The brass is brushed to give the scratched finish and then lacquered. Like many others, I cannot tell the difference. But, then, I am older than most, and have tinitis (constant ringing in my ears).

Gary

9. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    Have you done this? Have you any photos? I'm pretty sure the definition of a "brushed finish" is a very slight, uniform scratching of the metal itself, with a clear coating of lacquer to preserve, and protect the metal, as well as adding depth to the "brushed" metal surface. The very beauty of a brushed finish is that very scratching of the metal.

I haven't refinished horns yet, but I've been refinishing all sorts of stuff since literally I could hold a piece of sandpaper. I've worked on more things with clear coatings than I could ever possibly remember, and every single time
    I've sanded, wire brushed, or scuffed (as with a Scotch-Brite pad) a clear surface, all it did was look cloudy/milky, and scratched....It always took another clear coat to return the clarity.

I'm also pretty sure that every horn, professionally refinished in "brushed," or produced from the factory that way, will be "scratched" on the metal, with a clear coat applied over that...never the other way....and, even if it needs sanding to remove imperfections, it will then be polished, to remove any brushing in the lacquer.

And, that brushed finish, can always be polished....if both the brushing and polishing are done right...yes, you always loose a little metal and you are limited to the number of times this can be done, but that's just the name of the game.

Not trying to be a know-it-all. If I'm wrong, I'm willing to be corrected.

10. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Brad, That's they way I've always done it and have seen it done. I have been to professional aerospace metal finishing companies in conjunction with my line of work and they do the prep on the metal itself and then spray and ovenbake the final clearcoat.