Lacquer or Nickel Finnish?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by prls1power, May 25, 2012.

1. Pat S

Pat S Piano User

Jan 28, 2012
    San Antonio
    I prefer to refer to myself as having more money than talent, which says very little about my bank account!

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    This isn't an either/or question. Nickel plate has lacquer on top, unless it's been stripped off. Nickel silver (which is an alloy, not a finish) also gets lacquered.

So nickel plate versus lacquer isn't very meaningful. Better to ask: "which is brighter -- a trumpet that's been nickel-plated or one that hasn't been nickel-plated?"

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Just asking for clarification. Seems like I read Schulke did a study and found that lacquer produced a dampening (darker) effect on horns. No difference in silver or gold.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Only "acoustacrats" can tell you they hear the difference. Personally, unless it's latex paint used as lacquer (thick), it's not discernible except to the "elite" among us.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    And it was done a loooooooong time ago when lacquer was mainly nitro-cellulose.

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    +1 on that.

For all practical sound considerations, the difference is negligible. The chance that anyone would be able to actually hear the difference is so small, and if difference there is, that difference will be so minute that all other considerations should trump that one. My bet is that even slight differences in mouthpieces will make a given horn sound much brighter or darker than any coating. Durability, protection and looks should really be the main considerations if one is choosing a coating.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Neither. Projection is not based on finish, it is a combination of the players qualities and how well the horn and player match - in that order. If you think hardware aids projection, you probably need to work on your breathing first. Once your playing is sorted out, the right horn jumps out and screams BUY ME.

If I were Finnish, nickels wouldn't help my projection. Spanish have brighter, more projecting sounds (proven hundreds of years ago in pipe organ manufacturing):
    http://www.die-orgelseite.de/funktionsweise_e.htm

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Having gone from a King Silvertone to an Olds Studio, to a Conn 2B, to a Reynolds Argenta, my personal opinion is that the metal or coating has less to do with brilliance or projection than the bell flare shape, bore size and contour, mouthpiece selection and artist sound desire than all else. I could always make whichever trumpet I happened to be playing at any given time blend with any section I was in. It REALLY is what YOU want yourself to sound like that makes the difference.

OLDLOU>>

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OLD GMONADY is with OLDLOU 100% on this one (and what Rowuk says too).

10. prls1power

prls1power Piano User

Feb 11, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks for you input everybody, this has been a very productive discussion :-)