Lacquer question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Fluffy615, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Fluffy615

Fluffy615 Piano User

Nov 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Hello all, I have a question about a colored lacquer. I bought a pocket trumpet for a hundred dollars on Ebay last year and there's an odor to it. I think it's the blue lacquer. I've cleaned the horn out with warm water and dish detergent like I usually do with all my horns, but the smell bothers me and I think after using it last summer on my vacation, I developed sores in my mouth. Quite a lot. It could have been something else, I'm not sure. My question, finally, :-?is what else can I clean it with. I'm not too concerned with damaging the lacquer. It's a cheap horn that I hardly ever use. I just want to take it on my vacation in a few weeks. Sorry for babbling.
    Bob :play:

2. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    I myself bought a pocket trumpet on ebay for 81 dollars. It arrived still full of grinding/polishing residue. For the price I look at it as a toy! The horn I bought was from India and not China, and I have not had a problem with any smell. I admit the fact you still experience an oder from it bothers me. That and the fact you developed mouth sores.

My suggestion is this: boil the instrument. If the smell goes away, fine. If not, toss it. It's not worth risking your health over a $100 instrument.

3. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Soap and water. Sounds like that horn is a health hazard.

4. MrA2You

MrA2You Pianissimo User

May 26, 2008
    Manchester UK
    Milton Solution!!!! If that stuff can clean and sterilise baby bottles/equipment it must be able to kill anything lurking in the horn...... and hey...if it strips the laquer then you join the raw brass club!!!!

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    There IS something to be said for a nude pocket trumpet.:play:

6. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    We better leave that "something" to speculation.ROFL