Lacquer Removal.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hubnub, Nov 7, 2007.

1. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA

Jazz9,
    Don't get "improved sound" and "improved feel" confused with better playing. Removing the lacquer from your horn will not make you play any better... only practice can do that! However, lots of guys take the lacquer off their horns, or buy horns without lacquer to start with, simply because it helps them find the personal tone they are looking for.

Removing the lacquer can "free" the metal of the horn and allow it to resonate more naturally. Giving a darker tone usually sought after in the jazz world. :cool:

2. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    You see, for me, removing the lacquer brightened the sound. Go figure.
    Then, I added a heavy bottom cap on the 3rd valve to darken it.

HEHEHEHEHE

3. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Yeah... brighter would make more sense I think... more resonation equals more harmonics equals brighter sound, was my line of thinking... but my jazz friend told me he removed the lacquer for a darker sounds... at any rate, I just pass the info along... my horn still has lacquer! lol

quick question though... was there a reason you only put the heavy cap on the third valve and not all three??

4. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    et: yes, I feel it's simply too heavy with all three. I have to work much harder to produce vibration and thus have less endurance. I'm still experimenting, so I'm probably going to change my mind 12,000 times in the next few months :)

5. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    lol... cool! I was just curious... I have been flirting with trying some heavy caps out... but don't know if I wan't to spend the money and then find out I don't really like it! I guess I could do it and then just re-sell them if I don't like 'em. What brand did you go with?

Mike

6. brassmojo

brassmojo Pianissimo User

Nov 22, 2007
    Go this link, "Schilke Brass Clinic" and discover the reason to remover lacquer off the bell.
    Schilke Brass Clinic

7. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    I lucked out on an ebay auction, I got three heavy caps for like 15$.
    I might not have shelled the money for it either.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I've only had them for a few weeks (and now my trumpet is in repair... sooooo).

8. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    I bought 3 heavy Bach caps for my horn a couple of months ago and like the seemingly improved tone and slotting. $21 I think. I also used the oven cleaner method this afternoon on my old Besson trumpet with crummy lacquer and it is taking it off very well, despite temp in the 30's out in the garage. What's next? Brasso for polishing ? Thanks:-)

9. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    yes, brasso. :)

or silvo if you're out of brasso, but brasso works better.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The brighter versus darker argument makes perfect sense:
    A bell damped by laquer is LESS resonant - the audience gets a more brilliant sound and the player hears a darker sound reflecting off of the outside of the bell. Take the laquer off and the opposite happens.