Lacquer Removal.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hubnub, Nov 7, 2007.

1. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Do you know how much it costs? Could you give me an estimate if you know?

2. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Well, I finished with the copper glo and the horn has a beautiful satiny light colored gold finish that my says lookes "antiquey" I dabbed abit of silver cleaner on the and it shined a bit more. Will still get Brasso to see what happens. Now, if I could only get the valves to work properly..........;-)

3. brem

brem Mezzo Forte User

Sep 13, 2007
    Quebec City, QC, Canada
    I think I saw on some repairman's website that it cost 50-60$ to have it delacquered.

4. Eswany33

Eswany33 New Friend

Aug 22, 2012
    North Carolina, USA
    I just took the lacquer off the bell of an old stencil cornet that I bought on Ebay for cheap. I am planning on doing the whole instrument when I get the time. I took the lacquer off with very fine(about 400) sandpaper and a lot of elbow grease. I know this isn't the greatest way of removing the lacquer, but it gives me more control of what I take off and I really am just experimenting on an instrument that doesn't matter to me.

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    To add to an old thread:
    I have recently laid in a special ultrasonic chemical which is supposed to remove lacquer. The big advantage is that it is (virtually) non-toxic. I will not mess around with Methylene Chloride. It worked on an Olds Ambassador:-); next time I fire it up I will check to see whether it works on the newer Epoxy lacquers.