lacquer stripping

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JonathanShaw, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Joefer

Joefer New Friend

Feb 19, 2007
    Lubbock, TX
    I've stripped a couple that had seen better days and had a couple stripped. I will say without hesitation, if you have a good reputable repair guy that won't really kill ya on price, take it to them! If not, I'd love to recommend mine.... He did a full strip on my 229/25H, took care of some of my pitting on the valve and did a light buff to remove light scratches. All of this cost me a whopping 30 or 35 bucks. A far cry from the 75-100 that most shops charge. I'm sure you are really just looking for the raw brass meats skin oiled look but if you're not, maas polish works amazing and will keep it looking like the horn was lacquered for at least a few weeks between cleanings.

2. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Try SOSA. Make a soft paste with some water and apply. Then wash with lukewarm water and polish with wrap stripes. Don't let the sosa to work so hard, as it is corrosive. In Spanish it is called "sosa cáustica". English should be caustic sosa or caustic soda.
    Best wishes

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Be SUPER careful with Caustic Soda - PLEASE.

This is horribly nasty stuff and it should be combined with water carefully (I forget whether Caustic Soda is added to water or water must be added to Caustic Soda) because it can explode in your face. Do your research first, don't get it on you skin. I HAVE SEEN this stuff react very very violently - it doesn't happen eveytime but it does happen - may have something to do with the freshness of the batch, I don't know, but be aware and take care.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  4. BrassOnLine

BrassOnLine Piano User

Nov 22, 2007
    Spain
    Ted, you're right.
    I supossed everybody would follows the indications on the bottle.
    Anyway, here are some tips:
    FIRST: A PLASTIC recipient with, let's say, a glass of water.
    SECOND: Add caustic soda using a spoon. Slow, very slow...
    THIRD: Once you obtain a soft paste -not too dense- apply just a drop to a -let's say- bottom cap. Wait few minutes, watch how it is working. Observe how much time is needed, as it may vary.
    FOURTH: Clean with water, then polish.

CAUTION:
    -USE PROTECTION GLASSES
    -WEAR HAND GLOVES (there are special for this).
    -COMMON SENSE !!! Try on a small surface before aply to the entiere horn.

I suposed everybody should know.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I don't truly understand the whole "patina" craze. Corrosion on the inside is bad but on the outside it's desirable? Somebody help me out here.

6. Kevykev

Kevykev Pianissimo User

Sep 27, 2006
    St. Louis.
    This thread comes up time and time again!

Anyway, the best way that I've found is using Aircraft Stripper. You brush it on, wait 15 minutes and wash the lacquer right off. I've never found anything easier!

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    THIS WORKS....THANKS see Comeback Kid pg1
    I stripped a Getzen 900H in a couple of hours. Very good advice, Thanks:thumbsup:

8. Kamikaze

Kamikaze New Friend

Apr 23, 2007
    Sierras
    Another method that is super quick I found by accident!

I had a horn sitting on my workbench that I was doing some repairs for a local school. I was cleaning another item using non-chlorinated Brake Cleaner made by CRC and I accidently splattered some of the Brake Cleaner onto the horn. The lacquer melted off almost immediately!

Since I was going to solder some repairs anyway, I sprayed the Brake Cleaner directly on the part I was working on (horn was stripped completely), the lacquer dissolved and I wiped away any remaining finish.

I had to completely strip another horn and used only 1-can of the product which cost me $3.29.

I recommend that you do this outside in a well ventilated area and with gloves and eye protection.

9. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    The way i do it is very simple. I use acetone. You can buy the stuff in Home Depot or any hardware stores. Auto stores sell this stuff to. It evaporates very fast. You need a mask, rubber gloves and some cloth. You put some acetone on the cloth and rub the lacquer. The lacquer comes off!!

This is dangerous. You need a mask and gloves!! If you breath this stuff then...all sorts of things can happen. Cancer, brain damage etc.

Good Luck!! :thumbsup:

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Strangely enough Acetone, and a little Castor Oil, Colouring, and Fragrance are the constituents of Nail Polish Remover - ask you girl (or your Mum), she may be able to give you a small sample to try on an old horn