Lacquer versus epoxy

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tobylou8, Dec 3, 2009.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What is the difference between epoxy finish vs. lacquer finish? eBayer says he strips all his horns of lacquer for tonal qualities but then put on an epoxy finish except for the bell ( left raw ). The horns look cool, BUT how do they play? Does anyone have experiencewith this type of finish? Thanks.

2. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Lacquer is the life of the horn as it protects the metal from oxidation (tarnish, rust). Epoxy lacquer is much more durable than the older lacquers, but either way, I would avoid raw brass.

3. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Lacquer affects the tone of the instrument microscopically. Don't buy a horn because you think the finish will make it play a certain way. Just about everything else is what is important. The finish is just a cosmetic preference.

Brass doesn't rust.

4. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    True brass doesn't rust, but it does form oxidation in the form of tarnish. Let me restate: Oxidation includes tarnish, rust and for that matter, fire (which is an accelerated form of oxidation). Oh, and I know that brass doesn't burst into flames either, but brass oxidation can be toxic to some.:dontknow:

5. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Brekelefuw is correct, I bought a C7 in raw brass and kept it that way for a few months until I decided I wanted to keep it. I had it silver plated and there is not one bit of difference in the sound from raw brass to silver plate. Neither my wife or I could tell any difference but you are going to have people tell you by adding silver to your horn it will brighten the sound. I think it is all perception, you see a shiney bright horn and think it should sound bright.

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Good point, Dave. I was convinced due to internet reading that, after refinishing, my Olds Recording would come back to me sounding like a different horn, but the great folks in TrumpetMaster eased my concerns pointing out that once the horn has been gone a couple of days, it will be hard to remember exactly how it sounded. It's been over a month, now and I can't wait to get it back, but I'm not concerned about a major change in sound any more. I am more concerned in preserving the horn for the long haul as I do not plan to sell or trade it, another consideration before having a horn stripped.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is comparing apples and oranges. A modern epoxy job is very thin and durable. Many of my horns are raw. I am 53, have 4 children and we all have all of our arms, legs and no health issues.

Some buy horns and want them to be low maintenance. Some type of plating or finish is good for that. Some of us just want the horn to sound good and don't make a big deal out of the looks.

Horns do not "wear" considerably when not protected. The differences are cosmetic. They will last as long as long as we take care of them.