Lactic Acid … Warm Down

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Liad Bar-EL, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Albert Castillo

Albert Castillo Pianissimo User

Aug 11, 2006
    Munich

I think warming down is not the most important thing to do every day. Just works for some people and for other it doesn't.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  2. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Thanks Albert,
    I ended my post with "Do what works for you." I stated what works for me after having more than fifty years of extreme experience. Again I say "Do what works for you" :cool:
    Wilmer

3. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Quite so.
    I remember Bud Herseth telling a story once, one of the CSO trombone players (Crisafulli? I don't remember) in response to a question about warming up, said, "Warm up? We never cool down!"

Michael McLaughlin

My mother never breast fed me, she told me she only liked me as a friend.
    Rodney Dangerfield

4. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    what is ChopSaver?

5. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    what is STAMP?

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Define is...

-cw-

7. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    ROFL Chuck, that's classic.

Stamp is (I'll use the 2006 Webster's version of "is", FYI, Chuck) a reference to a book by James Stamp, called "Warm-Ups and Studies". It has buzzing excercises, flow studies, lip slurs, and some scale studies. (Poor explanation, even looking at the book). See the article on LivMusic called "Stamping it Out" for more and better info.

ChopSaver is a lip balm made of all organic materials. It reduces swelling, relieves dry lips, aids in the repair of soreness due to overplaying. Great stuff...I have 3 tubes going: one in my case, one in my pocket and one...I don't know where it is right now. Go look in the Advertisers forum for a thread on ChopSaver.

8. Deecy

Deecy Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2005
    NYC
    Lactic acid is a product of muscle fiber contraction. It is slowly dispersed into the bloodstream after exercise. One way to help disperse it more quickly from the peri-oral muscles after playing is by doing the so-called horse flap with the lips - a big, heavy, one or two of them. It's not a bad idea to do it during practice as well, for removing it is part of muscle fiber rejuvenation. I don't think you would want to do it on stage though!

9. trumpet520

trumpet520 Pianissimo User

Oct 25, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Lactic acid is actually built up from anaerobic respiration( when your muscles dont get enough oxygen) therefore if you practice for longer with breaks inbetween you should carry more oxygen in your blood effeciantly. Also as you probably know when body builders ( and anyone) work out they are just tearing there muscles down and rebuilding it with protein or amino acid supplements. so if you include more amino acids/protein in your diet eventually the lactic acid accumulation will slow to a minimum if you are still doing the same routine.

10. Majestic

Majestic Banned

Oct 24, 2006
    Right on Tom (Deecy)!

There are athletes of legs (runners), athletes of the arms and athletes of the lips (trumpet players). We trumpet players are special athletes and should at least keep an open mind to the potential benefits of using a warm down for the same reasons that the other athletes use the warm down technique.

I have not been successful in using the warm down when I first started. I have always wondered why others advocated this technique and for what effect. At first, I received very little benefit that I could feel in my embouchure with the warm down that I was using. When I learned that others like Herseth used a trombone mpc for warm downs, I used a trombone mpc and found a 100% improvement. After awhile I realized that I still felt tension in my embouchure but not as much. I began to question, that if trumpet players use trombone mpcs what do the trombone players use, a tuba mpc? Then, what do tuba players use because they all have pressure on the embouchure muscles?

Then I began to research the subject of mouth muscles. The Orbicularis Oris Muscle is the muscle of the lips and looks to be the largest muscle in the group of embouchure muscles. The other muscles that also work in the embouchure, some of which are directly connected to the Orbicularis Oris Muscle, are the Zygomaticus minor muscle, Zygomaticus major muscle, Mentalis muscle, Depressor labii inferioris muscle, Depressor anguli oris muscle, Buccinator muscle, Risorius muscle and others.

It is these muscles which are smaller and weaker than the lip muscle and are the ones that get tired first. It is these muscles that are the ones which do not get a full warm down while blowing the trumpet mpc and only a little bit from the trombone mpc. It is this reason that I chose to use "horse flaps" because there is no mpc pressure points to be concerned with.

IMO, the following procedure would be ideal for a warm down: blow low tones on the trumpet mpc then transfer to the trombone mpc for a few minutes and then use horse flaps.

The ultimate warm down would be to stick your head in a Jacuzzi for a couple of minutes and then jump in for a full body treatment. While you are dozing off to Nirvana, Miss France is feeding you pealed grapes.ROFL

MJ

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006