Lactic Acid … Warm Down

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Liad Bar-EL, Oct 31, 2006.

1. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    STAMP is what is sometimes done to my lips on a gig, or at least it feels that way, especially if the guitar player turns up to 11.

2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Warm down

When I was in high school I didn't play correctly so a warm down was necessary at the end of my almost daily practice. I played chromatic scales from middle C down to low G flat. I didn't know what peddle tones were at that time.

When I finally learned the correct embochure I didn't need to warm down. I could pick up the horn and play at any time. So I think good embochure training is necessary. I read a lot of books and I had a few lessons where I specifically asked what to do.

3. Majestic

Majestic Banned

Oct 24, 2006
    After 30 seconds of exercise, the oxygen "debt" is expended from your muscles. After 3 minutes of exercise, lactic acid starts developing and building up in the muscles.

I may be assuming too much here, but I do think that there are not many trumpet players here who only work out for 3 minutes. If anyone is interested in building up their chop muscles and increasing their lung volume then they have to expend at least 85% of their energy level. If you are a "week end warrior" on the trumpet, then what can I say, you only get out of it what you put into it. Chops and lungs are not built up over night.

Olympic athletes are doing the same routine every day and if you have a diet for them from which "the lactic acid accumulation will slow to a minimum" you should be making a million dollars a day after taxes serving food at the next Olympics. In fact, you should be developing a high level of lactic acid just from counting your money … you would not want to eat what you could sell for it would cut into your profits. Yes, you should be very happy with your lactic acid build up. I guess I would too.

Would you like to start a partnership in this endeavor? You cook, I'll serve.:lol:

MJ

4. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Could be more like Stomp! :shock:

5. Deecy

Deecy Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2005
    NYC
    MJ said: "Then I began to research the subject of mouth muscles. The Orbicularis Oris Muscle is the muscle of the lips and looks to be the largest muscle in the group of embouchure muscles. The other muscles that also work in the embouchure, some of which are directly connected to the Orbicularis Oris Muscle, are the Zygomaticus minor muscle, Zygomaticus major muscle, Mentalis muscle, Depressor labii inferioris muscle, Depressor anguli oris muscle, Buccinator muscle, Risorius muscle and others."

Better be careful you don't catch the bug, MJ. Next thing you know you'll be saving up for Med school tuition! It's about a 12-year grind!

Tom (Deecy)

6. Majestic

Majestic Banned

Oct 24, 2006
    There is the 'key breaking point' between the anaerobic and aerobic in terms of managing LT while exercising. It is different with everyone. This does not happen over night nor with just longer break periods. Your muscles have to be built up first and this takes time and a lot of effort.

When on camera, put your hand over the lips.

11 years and 364 more days to go.ROFL

MJ

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  7. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I attended and was a participant in Trumpet Friday last week. No warm-downs in evidence.
    Marv Stamm packed up his horn after a very heavy quartet set.
    No warm-down.
    Dom Derasse played the heck out of some piccolo trumpet stuff, then demonstrated on the Bb trumpet some of the high passages from "Cats."
    No warm-down.
    Warren Vache played a long set with a trio.
    No warm-down.
    Mac Gollehon and Tim Ouimette's groups were screaming. Their groups had four player trumpet sections.
    No warm-downs for those eight guys.
    I played piccolo, Eb and Bb trumpet on my part of the day.
    No warm-down.
    Is there a pattern here?
    Wilmer

8. Majestic

Majestic Banned

Oct 24, 2006
    Who was it that said, "in jazz, there are no mistakes"?

If that is how you want to hack it, then keep hackin.:D

They probably didn't play enough anyway to consider LT level and probably couldn't care less otherwise.

MJ

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  9. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Just the answer I expected.
    Wilmer

10. Majestic

Majestic Banned

Oct 24, 2006
    I think it is time to let the people here decide for themselves.

No offense intended but if this thread were adjudicated in a court of law or presented as a debate, it would show that the information that I presented was well documented, from the latest medical scientific studies and verifiable through the trumpet professionals who use warm downs along with the publications and institutions that use the same; whereas, the information you provided would prove that it amounts to nothing but hearsay.

MJ