Lactic Acid … Warm Down

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Liad Bar-EL, Oct 31, 2006.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    ROFL Chuck, is not your wife supposed to warm you up instead of down ROFL ...should meditate on this one ROFL probably she can warm you down too....after all...hope she is good in doing massages

2. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Ok, I'm willing to kick this thread off on to a new page to suggest to USMC Trumpet player something to practice from a well known expert. The First Study of Herbert L. Clarke's Technical Studies, page 5 and he states: "All these exercise must be played very softly. By practicing in this way your lips will always be fresh and under control. If they are play loud, the opposite effect may result, and the lips may be permanently injured. The principle is the same as that of a physician prescribing three drops of medicine which will cure, whereas a spoonful will kill."

Liad Bar-EL

3. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    Now you have properly quoted the Clarke book.
    Wilmer

4. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    "Enough already!"

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    If this gentleman is having problems such as he described, it's not because he isn't warming down. There are other problems at play and we're not clairvoyants here as much as we'd like to help.

ML

6. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    ?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  7. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel

If this gentleman is having problems such as he described and you say it is not because of not warming down and that there are other problems at play, then maybe you, Manny could mention what they might be. This is all that I have been asking for. Instead, all I get was this slap down response.

Let me explain why I picked this thread and why I am so adamant about it.

When I was in school, Maynard Ferguson was high on the charts and the big brass bands with loud screeching trumpets was the thing to be in. I remember the second trumpet player saying to me, "Listen to this…." As he was getting higher and higher on his trumpet, he began to shake and tremble. Then, I heard a squeak of a sound. Then as he turn to me with a blood flushed face and with bloodless white lips shaped into a trumpet mouth piece, he said: "THAT was a high E above high C……Yep, just like Maynard!"

Pressure was thing to use to get those high notes and what did I care I had a tremendous overbite; so, I could use pressure to help push those teeth back in.

Later, I won the audition to be admitted to the Oberlin College Conservatory of Music and received a scholarship as well. Plus, I was going to study with the 1st Chair trumpet player of the Cleveland Orchestra. Things couldn't get much better than this.

As College started, I was determined to practice and succeed with all my time and strength. I played until I could not play any more, much like USMC Trumpeter had stated.

At first, my lessons with Bernard Adelstein were not going well, much like USMC Trumpeter has stated. I was walking into to my lessons with swollen lips and Bernard told me not to play my horn before the lesson and that I would warm up during the lesson. Still, things were still not going well in my lessons much like USMC Trumpeter has stated.

I played better during my auditions and now I was seemingly not getting any better and Bernard was getting more upset with me all the time.

Things didn't start to turn around until I was told to start and memorize the Clarke's Technical Studies which meant playing softly and with less pressure. I was also told to warm down and rest. My trumpet performance turn around 180 degrees.

Less pressure, playing softly and warm downs are only a couple pieces of the puzzle for successful trumpet playing that I have been taught and experienced in my life and all of which I relayed to USMC Trumpeter via these posts.

When I first read the post from the USMC Trumpeter, I identified with it immediately and as an effort to help him, I gave him my advice as what any one else can also do these days thanks to the internet and the trumpet forums. With today's internet, there is no need for clairvoyance in helping someone to play the trumpet better. I did not ask for pay even though this learning experience cost me a few thousand dollars and a lot of time. If any of you in this forum think that you should be paid for your advice here, then you're in the wrong place.

I was not asking for all the pieces of the puzzle for successful trumpet playing, Manny, only what ever you think that might help.

Liad Bar-EL

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I reapeat: There's no way of knowing without hearing/seeing. There are too many posibilities. I'm sure this gentleman is very capable of using a search feature to do his own investigating.

Also, spare me the manipulating of this into a "We should get paid for what we do thread".... It's offensive. We do it because we like to help but you need to remember we have lives outside these fora and not always the amount of time needed to deal with issues you happen to relate to.

ML

9. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Ok Manny, then he is on his own. He should be able to glean a lot from your forum for it has a wealth of information.

You have a lot of good posts in there and maybe some day you could have them indexed in some fashion.

Frankly, I don't know how you can afford to spend the time that you do already on these forums.

Be well,

Liad Bar-EL

10. lolatu

lolatu New Friend

Jan 13, 2009
    All I have to say is "Wow..."

You guys may all be hotshot trumpet players, or maybe not so much. You're all being so cavalier with the idea of relaxing your face. Too macho to take care of yourself, is that it? Either that or you've managed to convince yourself that you're too good to warm down, warm up or whatever.

I'm not bashing on you as trumpet players, I'm bashing on how narrow your views are. Maybe instead of saying "My warm down is to put down the trumpet" you could say "In my experience warming down doesn't benefit me as much as you suggest" rather than flick aside the idea and claim yours is the only right one. My idea is that you've all matured as players, but not as people. I speak, with only love, respect and adoration, on my behalf and the behalf of everyone you probably pissed off with your blatant comments, to grow up. ~=)