Lactic Acid buildup- any quick releif?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Floppy454, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Floppy454

Floppy454 New Friend

Jun 5, 2009
    Is there any quick.. I guess releif/ cure to lactic acid buildup? And does the ammount you practice/play correspond with how long you can go before buildup? Thanks in advanced-

Floppy

2. knotty

knotty New Friend

Jun 8, 2009
    San Francisco, Ca.
    The only lactic acid buildup I'm familiar with is in cycling. Although anytime muscles do work, lactic acid is produced, the body will get rid of it. In cycling, you do high intensity training and the body will become more efficient at getting rid of the lactic acid, enabling you to ride harder, faster, longer.

Now how this applies to the trumpet embouchure (I assume that is what you mean) I have no idea.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Who said that there was any lactic acid buildup when playing the trumpet?

Here is a thread with more than we ever wanted to know:

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/lactic-acid-warm-down-31469.html

I researched this and Michael McLaughlin said it best:

Chops are not muscles. Your lips are tissue. Muscles surround the lips in the embouchure (the obicularis orbis, IIRC) but your lips are not muscle. No lactic acid. This is why anaologies to sports are so bogus, they sound reasonable but are based on a fallacy. There is no need to warm down, nor (if you read jacobs) is there any need physically to warm up.

Michael McLaughlin

What you THINK is lactic acid, is just your body telling you that you do not practice enough or regularly enough. That is VERY easily solved without a doctor, pill or any other "external support items".

4. Floppy454

Floppy454 New Friend

Jun 5, 2009
    Well thanks guys, I was told by my band teacher it was lactic acid, so sorry for being wrong :p

5. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Mistakes happen don't worry about it...

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No need to be sorry. It was an honest question and you got honest answers. The message remains the same though - more structured practice time build better chops that don't tire as fast, regardless of the reason!

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  8. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    Floppy,

It is absolutley right that the pink lips is not/have no muscles in them BUT around the lips there are plenty of small muscles who support the lips and put them in the right position (or wrong position if we are unlucky).
    Now, all muscles in the body can suffer from lactic acid buildup. There is NO shortcut getting away from this. The only ansver is PRACTICE....play as much as you can ON FRESH chops. Meaning; when you get tired: STOP and rest...then get back to practicing after the rest and continue and so on and so on...and repeat. This takes time! Trumpetplaying requires A LOT of patience AND discipline.

Good Luck!