Lalo Schifrin's Song (Help)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ddverne, Dec 6, 2011.

1. ddverne

ddverne New Friend

Dec 3, 2011
    Hi,

I am trying to play the trumpet part of Lalo Schifrin's Sudden Impact - It's 4 seconds of trumpet: from 0:28 to 0:32 - link:

Dirty Harry - Sudden Impact Theme Song - YouTube

But without sucess :/. I can't discovery the chord/notes from the trumpet part of the link above.

This is the most that I can get (I'm using Guitar Pro to edit the notes):
    [​IMG]

Could anyone help me?

Thanks.

2. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011
    For starters there's an eighth rest before the first note. The first measure and a half includes all upbeats. I didn't check the pitches as it is late here and didn't want to wake anyone up.

Also the way you've written the notes in the staff is clumsy. Always best to include syncopated upbeat tones as barred eighth notes TYING THEM together. Easier for the reader to visualize where the down beats are. When you break the notes up into both quarter and eighth notes it gets very hard to find the beat for the reader. There are ways to incorporate eighths and quarter note together and still remain readable but when in doubt? Keep it all tied eighth's. Until you know what you're doing. You can always put stacatto or marcatto markings to make them sound shorter.

At least Schifrin wrote the chart (from what i heard of the chart so far anyway) in 4/4 time. Usually he wrote them in odd meter. So you lucked out a bit here.

When transcribing music it is always best to graph out the whole chart first.

Or: ( 8 bars ) + ( 8 ) bars intro: Then the brass etc. Write the form of the tune all the way out from start to finish. Figure the best places to put repeat signs, first and second endings, D/S Coda's etc.

THEN? Just take your time. This is part of the musicians learning process. No hurry.

Remember: Repeat signs are an arrangers best friend...

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  3. ddverne

ddverne New Friend

Dec 3, 2011
    Thanks for the tips, I understood your advices.

But as you may notice I'm not musician, so to discover the notes, I usually play the song for several times and using my guitar I try to figure out the notes. I know this is odd, but in fact I don't have money to spend with lessons. :/

And that's what I did on the tablature above.

Continuing to this process I improved to this:

Code:
    [B]E - E - F# - G - G - G# - G - G# - F# - E - E - F# - F#[/B]
    Anyway I think it got closer than the other one, but is not perfect. I only want know from someone who read this, if I'm on the right track or no.

Thanks.