Lamp Making

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Tootsall, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
  2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :wave:

Jim

3. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Marvelous, exciting story by a great cornetist!

I too share the same excitement over a great cornet . . . and I too initially purchased one to make a lamp out of!

I've gone through quite a few really good ones . . . and have now culled them down to only INCREDIBLE ones . . .

A 1911 Boston 3-Star restored by Rich Ita, that I purchased from him in 2000 (after also playing a gold-plated Victor like Jim Cullen wrote about).

Then a SECOND, very pristine 1911 3-Star, identical to the first one that I purchased on eBay . . . that I had Rich Ita also restore.

Also . . . a 1939 Conn Victor like Jim Cullen plays. What a screamin' cornet that barks on the bottom and slots like a dream to a very easy G below Triple C.

And . . . a '61 Reynolds Argenta like the one I dreamed of in high school in the '60s.

Finally, the new gold plated Flip Oakes Wild Thing short model cornet that I made the mistake of trying at a cornet collector's annual meeting in 2001.

Dang . . . I already had that awesome 3-Star and several lesser great cornets . . . but that Wild One was even more special and, like Bobby Hackett in the story posted above . . . I had to have it. It was just too awesome.

A CORNET LAMP? Nope, I never made one after all. My love of the cornet and it's solid position that the cornet has attained on my rack of gigging instruments prevents me from doing this . . . even to a dog of a cornet.

THANKS FOR THE LINK TO THAT WONDERFUL STORY!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner