Large bore vs. small bore question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ArtM, Nov 18, 2009.

1. ArtM

ArtM New Friend

Nov 16, 2009
    Houston tX
    I am not even sure I know enough about this to ask but here goes.

Am I correct in thinking that a larger bore trumpet and or cornet is easier to play(breath) that a smaller one. The reason I am asking is, I had the opportunity to play a Benge (I don't recall the model) and it was much easier to play than the student horns I had experience with.

I suspect that the size or bore of a specific horn might be more of a personal preference for a player.

Could someone point me in the right direction of a web page/ thread that explains about the size (bore) of trumpets?

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    If a horn's designed right, you can't really tell if it's a small or large bore when you play it, other than the sheer volume of air you can force through it.

3. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
  4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is a common question and very much misunderstood.

A trumpet is not a megaphone and we really do not hear an "amplified" lipbuzz. The lips get a resonance in the trumpet started and that is transformed by the instrument into what we hear. Depending on the intensity and shading of our playing, various tone colors can be created.

How much air that it takes to play a phrase has more to do with how well the trumpet resonance is matched to the player than anything else. Advanced players are more relaxed when playing and need the trumpet to react differently than weaker players that tense up - especially when playing higher. These are the players that report that the instruments are not as "free blowing" as others.

There is MUCH, MUCH more to this and the thread mentioned above covers just about all of the basics needed to understand what is happening and maybe why somethings do not happen.......

5. ArtM

ArtM New Friend

Nov 16, 2009
    Houston tX
    Thank you that was a lot to read however, it answered my question and some other itmes I was wondering about. Now I am off to read about mouth pieces..

Thanks again.

Art M.:thumbsup:

6. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Art,
    reading is MUCH better than looking for a new one.

7. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Rowuk wrote:
    This is definitely a misundertood concept.

8. jdostie

jdostie Piano User

Feb 20, 2008
    I was listening to a Claude Gordon lecture on purtle.com, and he said something like "Bore size has absolutely nothing to do with resistance; it's all about the tapers."

He also said something funny about players saying they "could never fill up a large bore trumpet," . . . "you can't fill it up anyway, it's open at both ends."

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    "How much air that it takes to play a phrase has more to do with how well the trumpet resonance is matched to the player than anything else"
    ----------
    Boy O Boy, Ain't that the truth.
    I don't know how many times I've come across trumpet players(and other brass) that fight the instrument because of this mismatch.
    However, if your pocketbook can swing it, go with the Benge. It likes you.
    Bore size is a fairly screwed up science depending on who you talk to. Generally bore size (i think) is calculated from an area on the second valve casing.
    Bore size and ease of playing is also a screwed up science depending on who you talk to.
    The urban folklore is that the larger the bore the more air it takes and the bigger the sound. Go with the Benge, it likes you.

10. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Not if you are trying to get a job in a symphony orchestra! The NY Phil limited the horn choices to Bach and Yamaha. German orchestras want rotaries - that Benge does not make..........