Large cut proposed for US military music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Jul 18, 2011.

1. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    For those of you who don't know, military bands are again in jeopardy of being cut yet again by clueless politicians looking for a good sound bite. You can help!

In May, Representative Betty McCullom introduced an amendment to the House version of the 2012 National Defense Authorization Act that would significantly and immediately reduce spending on military music programs from $320 million to $200 million. This went back and forth in the House and was eventually passed in early July. The Senate is currently working on their version of the NDAA. When it is passed by the Senate, the two bills will go into conference with input from the office of the Secretary of Defense to be reconciled. If this amendment makes it through, it will have an negative impact on all music in the military. Since the numbers provided to Rep. McCullom were possibly not the most accurate and her amendment is vague, it is feared that the cuts in reality could well exceed 37.5%. They will take effect almost immediately - October 1 of this year.

The DOD budget projection for FY2012 is $553 billion, so cutting $120 million is not really saving anything in the big picture. We all know the value of the military bands in troop morale and in public relations.

The American Bandmasters Association (ABA), the College Band Directors National Association (CBDNA), and MENC are advocating that this amendment not become part of the 2012 NDAA. The MENC link provides further information:

NEWS ITEM/ACTION ALERT: U.S. Military Bands Face Potentially Devastating Budget Cut - MENC Advocacy Groundswell

If you are interested in contacting your Representative and Senator:
    U.S. Senate: Senators Home

https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml
    It doesn't take many letters and phone calls to make a difference in the passage of legislation, so I do encourage you to contact your local politicians.

I though that you may like to know what is going on with our friends in congress.

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Though we were supposed to keep politics out of the threads here?

3. jdangel38

jdangel38 Pianissimo User

Jun 9, 2011
  4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Hopefully this cutback won't happen. The Army Materiel Command Band was just transferred to our city (with a new state-of-the-art band building constructed), and I've already attended one of their concerts. The band commander is a great guy (and a fine tuba player) - he also plays in our local brass band and allows us to use his facility for rehearsals. He and the band are definitely an asset to the community and the troops of the division.

5. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Umm, blatantly political, by a moderator no less.

And if there was ANY part of the defense that could be cut I'd say it was bands. That's not to devalue the troops or the players. And I don't mean to imply musicians losing jobs is some unimportant matter...it absolutely would suck. But let's face it, the military is not in the business of providing music or "inspiration". It's no different than when a large corporation outsources it's cafeteria because it's not in the food service industry...no matter how good the food is or how happy it makes employees.

6. tptCarl

tptCarl Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cottonwood, Arizona
    Sorry Satchmo, military music has been around as long as the military. It is a source of inspiration, morale, recruitment, functioning as watch, funeral service, as well. Let's keep the bands and cut out a few nuclear weapons.

7. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion
    Just like music in the schools.....when the schools have budget troubles music is always the first to cut.....nothing different in national politics....so sad!

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    From an economics perspective I completely agree.

Times are tough, and tough decisions need to be made. Cutting money from the military's music programs hurts, but as part of an overall reduction in spending by the Fed, it makes sense.

Referring to politicians tasked with managing tax dollars in this economy as "clueless politicians looking for a good sound bite" is exactly why we ask mods to keep politics off the forum.

"Do as I say, not as I do" I guess...

9. JediYoda

JediYoda Mezzo Piano User

Sep 25, 2010
    State of Confusion

sometimes though the truth has to do with politics......

10. tptCarl

tptCarl Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2006
    Cottonwood, Arizona
    +1