Large cut proposed for US military music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rowuk, Jul 18, 2011.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Smug one-liners are usually what derails political threads.

The truth is the Fed has been spending more money (on everything) for a long time and now it's time to pay the piper.

Spending cuts have to be made EVERYWHERE. That includes places and programs that are near and dear ot many of us. While it hurts, making these cuts is the responsible thing to do.

It's clueless to believe that we can continue spending like drunken sailors and expect someone else to pay for it.

2. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    As much as I hate to see the cuts in the military music programs, I nevertheless understand them. Given that the primary purpose of the military is to wage war it's better to have extra manpower, weapons and equipment in the field than band members in garrison.

At such time as we are not fighting multiple enemies on multiple fronts there will be more money for bands and special services programs, etc.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  3. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Military bands are a huge morale booster. They are needed more in times of war than in peacetime... I deleted the rest of my post due to its highly political nature.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Politics,
    perhaps one can read something into this. My agenda is not republican, democrat or agnostic.

If we were talking about across the board defense cuts, then I could see some of this. This is unfortunately not the case. This is political opportunism because Bach-Selmer has no lobby on cap-it-all hill - unlike the other objects of defense spending.

It does have one heck of a lot to do with continuing opportunities for hundreds of trumpet players - that then make their living in the support of others instead of annoying those around them by pretending to squeal double Gs. Those opportunities are one of the reasons that I even spend my time here.

As far as the idiocy of calling me out for a "political" statement, I challenge any of you to document my low tolerance for any of the political trangressions on this site. By the time that I take any type of action, things have gone way to far. I practice what I preach. I served in a band during the Vietnam war and know what the bands mean.

gbdeamer, I have to say that I am very disappointed with your comments in this thread. they have a very populist stench. I hope you are as tough on the really big ticket items too.

5. Puckish

Puckish Piano User

Jan 10, 2011
    "Given that the primary purpose of the military is to wage war it's better to have extra manpower, weapons and equipment in the field than band members in garrison."

Given that our military is led by the Department of Defense wouldn't you say it's primary purpose is to defend against acts of war upon us than "to wage war"? I don't think that's too political a statement - it is what we decided, long ago, to call it. Of course the original intent of the National Guard was to defend our own borders from within those same borders, exclusively . . . and those poor guys are spread, thinly, all over the globe. What's in a name, I guess.

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    +1.

We are on the verge of a major economic collapse in the US (and dare I say all over the world). 20% of men between ages 25 and 54 in the US DON'T HAVE A JOB! http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/10/opinion/10brooks.html
    This is as bad as its been since the Great Depression.

Think about that and then maybe it will start to sink in that the US govt. can't continue to spend trillions while the workforce continues to shrink.
    It doesn't matter how "important" anyone thinks a given part of the govt. is, or how well you can debate, because if the workforce continues to disappear there is no tax base to pay the federal govt.

How anyone can deny that is beyond ignorant.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think that we need to open our eyes and not be afraid of what we see - and then go out and do the right thing - whatever that may be. It doesn't matter if we are talking about Army Bands, our job/school, a double high C, our families or community. Only those that ACT actually move the respective beast.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    interesting thread .... I agree the 200 mil is a drop in the bucket.. I agree cuts need to be made anywhere ... what I find maddening is the real money drain has not been addressed .. and I won't here. I believe the cuts are intentionally placed in the most visible areas to give an illusion and to punish the tax payer.. okay now I have crossed the line ... I knew I shouldn't have gotten into this.
    I do believe the military bands are a viable part of our society and culture. If I send a note stating I want the military bands to stay intact some representative is going to try to raise my taxes or the press is going to twist it into non support for fiscal conservatives.... basically I am screwed either way...
    Oh, and if a moderator wants to post something in the even remotely in political area and the owner of the site approves it... done deal ... and if some active member has issue with that.. well I guess that's okay too. The value of this site is in both moderators and members... you guys rock

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Call it what you want. You can spout your blue-sky rhetoric about clueless politicians looking for sound bites, but the reality of the current economic situation is such that tough decisions need to be made. The Federal Government has been spending too much money for years, but the credit card is maxed out and we have borrowed all we can. People will now lose jobs, services will be reduced reduced, and programs cut. I don't like it, but I'm the one paying the bill and it needs to be done.

This is still an open forum, so I'm not interested in your approval of my comments or how you think they smell. I (obviously mistakenly) thought that politics were off-limits here because they tend polarize/drag down threads. The idiocy speaks for itself.

Feel free to send me a PM if you'd like to discuss my position on any "big ticket" items.