Large Print Method Book

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rvick82, Nov 1, 2007.

1. rvick82

rvick82 New Friend

Sep 4, 2007
    Hey everyone, just wanted some quick advice. I have a beginning trumpet student (5th grade) that has vision problems. He wants to learn the trumpet but cannot see the notes (too small - He has to use large prints books at school.). Does anyone know of any large print trumpet method books? Right now I am having to copy his book and blow it up on copier to make it so he can see it. Just wanted to know if any of the good method books for beginners come in large print. Is so, where can I find them. I am having lots of trouble finding anything. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

2. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    The International Trumpet Guild has a member that helps with this type of problem. He is blind and converts method books to Braille. He may be able to get you sources of large print trumpet methods. His name is Stacy Blair.

Blind trumpet player returns to 'old stomping grounds'

Stacy Blair
    4240 Saturn Rd. #169
    Garland, TX 75041

Phone 972-840-1328

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Mainstreaming with music is wonderful, but with any student with a medical problem, it is always a good idea to talk with the parents and other schoolteachers. What is the nature of the problem--will the increased pressure or eyeball rattling pedal tones cause more damage? Does the student need more light? Can he see the conductor even if he does memorize the pieces? Using the zoom on a copier is an excellent soulution for now, but at some point, your student will have to become an expert at memorization. I've worked with a blind organist in Germany, who, with braille could only learn one hand at a time. She could learn from a recording much more quickly. bravo for taking on this student--he could be the next Stacy Blair!

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The best thing to do is to get in contact with the publishers. They often enjoy the publicity (maybe even the JOY) of helping!
    To a certain extent, only self help is available but you already know that!

5. rvick82

rvick82 New Friend

Sep 4, 2007
    Thanks for all the help and advice! I am going to get in contact with Stacy Blair and also be in contact with the publishers and see what they can do as well. Thanks again! I will post again once I get all this taken care of and let everyone know what I have found out.