large teeth..

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jellesmiecht, Aug 14, 2012.

1. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    hi,

Question.

How can I get more upper lip below my top teeth (when playing trumpet obviously) , it's just that they're huge (not rabbit huge but kinda big).

2. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    If you can say M your lips will be touching so you teeth will be covered. If you lips were not touching,and you had teeth exposed, there would be no buzz and no sound .
    Don't over think it,just go for the best tone you can get.There are no exercises that I've ever heard of that will stretch your lip lower.
    If you're talking about rolling you lip over your top teeth,that's something else.If you roll both lips over you teeth,it would be a "Steven's-Costello" embouchure. While this type of embouchure works for some,it doesn't work for everybody.

I myself use what Walt Johnson calls a low gear-high gear embouchure,which is the same embouchure that Nick Drozdoff endorses,and teaches. I've been using this type of embouchure for 50 years and have had great success with it.

3. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    Well the fun thing is I can keep my lip beneath my teeth in the low register until like G in staff and I have a HUGE sound. And it feels like I can blow the trumpet full with air. The most awesome thing ever. I guess that's a matter of practicing to get this working in the middle register too... My normal embouchure is just so fucked up. I actually went down so many players embouchures and I found not one matching mine a bit.

As I ascend in my 'normal' my chin and lower and upper lip rise until my aperture sits right in front of my upper teeth....my lips overlap and stuff.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  4. jellesmiecht

jellesmiecht New Friend

Jun 1, 2012
    So now I practiced this about 2 hours, the sound is huge especially low and pedal register. The middle is coming along more and more as I do it... I think I might practice this for a while