large vs. small

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonathansedlacek, Aug 20, 2011.

1. jonathansedlacek

jonathansedlacek Pianissimo User

Jul 23, 2011
    hi everyone.
    I am thinking about getting a new trumpet and have seen a lot of people saying that this is a large bore trumpet and this is a small or medium bore trumpet. I don't know what any of this means and i am wondering what the differences are between the large, small and medium bores.
    Thanks so much.

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I currently play a .469" bore Reynolds Argenta trumpet that I love. I previously played, and still keep as a backup horn, a Conn 2B New World Symphony trumpet that is a .458" instrument. I still have and cherish my dads King Silvertone trumpet, a .454" horn. I have also owned and dearly loved a Conn Connstelation .434" horn. I find that the Connstelation was as free blowing and responsive as any of the larger bore horns that I have played. The old maxim, play before you pay is still valid. Try a wide assortment of trumpets on a trial basis. The one for you will find you.

OLDLOU>>

3. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Bore size is determined by the diameter of the inside of your instrument. Most players will prefer the medium bore and selection of a small bore or even a large bore should be determined by your playing style and physical makeup.

The only way you can be sure of which sized bore you like is to visit a large music store which has in stock many different models and plan on spending an afternoon there playing everything they have.

Purchasing an instrument is a big decision and knowing that the one you have selected is the best is only something you can decide. Listen to the advice of the sales person but be sure that the instrument you select “feels” right to you.

Make sure to test each instrument at soft as well as loud dynamic levels and high and low ranges. Your first visit to the music store should not be a “go to purchase” event. Your first visit is to determine which bore size seems to be what you are looking for.

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Most trumpets built these days are what is known as Medium-Large bore, 0.459". Large bore trumpets start at 0.462" (Bach for example). One and a half thousandths of an inch of dirt buildup on a Large bore trumpet can turn it into a Medium-Large bore!

Often more is read into specifications like this than is helpful. Play some trumpets, and choose the one that puts a smile on your face:D You may only need to play one note on it to know it is right for you!

gmonady likes this.
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    The "smile on your face" criterion is really THE one criteria that should determine your choice.

6. jonathansedlacek

jonathansedlacek Pianissimo User

Jul 23, 2011
    Well I would love to go to a music store, but I don't know where any are.
    Does anybody know where a good music store that stocks trumpets is is New Orleans

7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    New Orleans Music Exchange:
    Instruments - New Orleans Music Exchange

Here's a link to a dozen stores.
    Music Stores New Orleans LA - New Orleans LA, musical instruments, New Orleans LA dj equipment, New Orleans LA music gear, New Orleans LA amplifiers, New Orleans LA microphones, New Orleans LA speakers, New Orleans LA recording studio equipment and s

Maybe check the Yellow Pages under "Musical Instruments"

BTW The bore is usually measured at the second valve, remove the slide cap, and measure that size across the hole in the slide going into the valve - that measurement is the bore. I would not worry about it, more important is to try as many horns as you can, and then when you find one you like, you can check it. It is just a measurement, does not tell you anything about sound, playability or if it is good or bad.

Go get honkin' on your horns.

8. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    The main difference between bore size will be the resistance you get when you blow through the mouthpiece. The smaller the bore the greater the resistance. Also you need to determine are you buying a professional grade horn. The most common is ML bore .459". As a resell horn it would be more easy to sell in the future. Also go and play. Take your favorite MP. Get the feel and balance of the horn. As above play low, play high. play soft, play loud. If you are younger and experienced than a ML or LB will be fine. But, sometimes a Medium bore gives better control.
    I have a small bore Keefer sounds smooth, but pinchy at times; a medium bore Callet SIMA which is very easy to play and sounds fantastic in all ranges; a ML Bach Strad Mt. Vernon, that is a killer. But I love the SIMA for greater control and a greater pallet of sounds.
    Also, some makers give a 3 day trial period. It is not a bad way to go, for a try-out, but more costly, because of shipping charges.
    Best Regards

9. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Sometimes bore size is secondary to HOW the horn feels. My Committee (.454) feel much more open than my Large Bore Strad.
    Go figure.

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    IMO bore size is almost always secondary to how a horn feels.