large vs. small

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jonathansedlacek, Aug 20, 2011.

1. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    You are getting great advice from the posts above. Just to reiterate, bore is less important than how the horn feels and responds to you. Bore is just one facet in a multitude of factors like leadpipe, bell, mouthpiece etc.

Just something I have observed --I think a number of H.S. players want a L bore horn because it seems macho (well, at least for the male players). There is something about saying "my large bore horn still has trouble handling all of the power I put into it." Realize that pro players are about getting a horn that is best matched to them. Let me give you an example. My idol was Maynard Ferguson. Heard of him? Had a huge sound and tremendous power. Guess what he played during what many call his "very best" years. A Constellation 38B. It is a small bore horn. Yes! However, it has a large bell (5 1/4 inches) -and with the other specs -it was the horn for him. I have a "copy" of the Connstellation and it is a very open, free blowing horn. I think it takes more air than most of my MLs, even though it is small bore. Bet not too many of the guys bragging about needing a large bore would have out blown Maynard. At any rate, that said, there are folks who do need a large bore horn. But you would be well advised to try a ML and go from there. Playing them is the only way you will know.

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Here is a piece of information you may find interesting:
    Bach use the same pistons on all the C, Bb and D Stradivarius models, ML and L. That is, the bore through the piston of the Medium Large bore is the same as the bore through the piston of the L bore.

3. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Ivan,
    Right on, bro! That was my point exactly; we play a trumpet and not a number read from calipers. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts and bore size is simply one of many variables.
    Tom

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I think the theme here is all converging onto the same point. Perhaps this analogy may drive the point home, boys and girls, you would not pick a girl or boy because of their big.... EYES! No the eyes are less important than how the mate feels and responds to you... Playing [life’s events with] them is the only way you will know.

The trumpet is like your love, you will just know you have met the right one when you play and feel it. Just as in real life size does NOT matter

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I often ask why questions like this are posted. A minimal amount of google usually brings tons of similar answers. I can't help but think that the varied opinions common to any "community" like TM will only confuse the uninitiated.

My personal take is that beginners start with STANDARD student horns, rugged and easy to play. Check any of them today - medium to lightweight, medium large bore. I also believe that if we stick to name brand horns, there is almost NOTHING that can go wrong for the first 4-5 years. During that time, we build skills and musical taste that will help us with future decisions. I also recommend taking a second set of ears that you can trust - a trumpet teacher or MUCH better player that can keep the decision based on sound and playability instead of shiny.

There is no way that we can "read enough" to make an intelligent purchase. We need solid hands on monitored by players that know better.

Bore is really a non issue. It is so insignificant when compared to material, bracing, leadpipe, mouthpiece and most important of all, how well developed the player is.

good luck