Largest Flugel Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by David Hall, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Chester Hill

Chester Hill Pianissimo User

Mar 1, 2018
    Hikes Point, Kentucky
    Flip Oakes sells mouthpieces made by Mark Curry which have an inside diameter of 0.695 inches or 17.653 millimeters.

http://flipoakes.com/accessories-services/mouthpieces/

I used to use that size flugel mouthpiece with great success.
    The tone quality was wonderful.

The cup diameter and cup depth are much bigger than the Wick 2 cornet mouthpieces that are famous for being big.

BTW, Flip Oakes himself used to play that 17.653 millimeter size.
    Hence the designation "personal".

Chester

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  2. chiefgearhead

chiefgearhead Pianissimo User

May 30, 2017
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    As this thread is many months old I’m wondering if the OP ended up acquiring a large bore mouthpiece, and if so, what the results were. Even before reading the Jens Lindemann post on mouthpieces I been of the opinion that it’s nearly impossible to assign certain design or construction attributes to a specific sound or “playability.”

Each of us also adapts (or doesn’t) in various ways, perhaps without us knowing it, to produce the tonality, timbre, volume, or character that we want. Sometimes we don’t realize we’re working harder in doing so.

Additionally, there is the mouthpiece/specific horn compatibility, which is also an issue. I’ve found this to be the case in my own flugelhorn search (which is drawing to a close). The Monette Prana that I was using in the Adams with one leadpipe (the Adams comes with two different sizes, .402” and .413”) was at first awful with the big lead pipe. It’s better with the smaller lead pipe but I’m fairly certain it’s not the best mp for me and the horn. The Yamaha FL14 that came with the 8315 flugel I’m testing seems to work better with the Adams than the Monette and I’ve been doing a lot of comparisons between the two.

I play a Monette Classic B6S1 with my trumpet (the Miyashiro). I took a risk and just bought one from Monette without playing it, but it’s a fairly standard size, and the only real difference in it and other mps is the “Monette design.” As it turns out, I love it and it works well. YMMV.

-tj

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
  4. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    For many years I have played the Flip Oakes FO mouthpiece which is 0.695 inches / 17.65 mm diameter.
    But be prepared for a HUGE cup depth.

https://flipoakes.com/accessories/mouthpieces/

BTW, the Flip Oakes mouthpieces are made by Mark Curry.

5. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    For bragging rights, why not just turn a flugel shank onto a tuba mouthpiece? :grin:

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    To return to seriousness. Denis Wick used to make a 2FL mouthpiece that's as near as dammit to 17.9 mm (which I've played French Horn parts on, with my Courtois 154 attached to it).

7. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    you can eventually order a hybrid mouthpiece with a trombone top, but I don't think that's a smart idea.

8. walldaja

walldaja Pianissimo User

Feb 25, 2008
    New Albany, OH
    I used to play flug with a Schilke 18 but a couple of years ago I shifted to a Harrison Wedge some where close to a 3B--can't find marking on the piece. I find it worked better than I imagined and have since parked the 18. The smaller throat allows much more control (I play a .433 bore flug). I think it is more important to size the mpc to the horn rather than try a "one size fits all" concept. I play trombone and euphonium and use a Wedge 5G, on C trumpet I use a Wedge 1AC, on Bb trumpet I also use a Wedge 1AC, and on cornet I use a Wedge 3B

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    They still do I believe -- I bought mine new 3 years ago.

--bumblebee

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Here is some software that can 3D print any size mouthpiece that you want:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:43728

I have tried a couple of samples (1.5C, 7E, natural trumpet mouthpiece with 19.5mm inner rim - more to come) and they all work very well

BigDub, J. Jericho and barliman2001 like this.