Largest Trumpet Section? Need help!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jim, Sep 1, 2005.

1. Jim

Jim New Friend

Sep 1, 2005
    Hi there,
    My teacher want's me to find out which orchestral piece has the greatest number of trumpets in it and how many but I can't find the answer anywhere. Can anybody help? It's quite urgent.

2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Janacek Symphonietta has 12 trumpets, Mahler 8 has 8, Verdi Requiem has a few, Verdi Aida, I can't think of any others right now, but I am sure I will later.

3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Khatchaturian Symphony #? has 15 trumpets!

ML

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Number 3 I believe (we did it at university) - it has 15 SOLO trumpets (and solo organ), along with another 3 in the orchestral section - a total of 18 trumpets needed :D

Great piece too.

5. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Would Strauss' Freierleicher Enzung (I know I brutalized the spelling) be considered orchestral? I have played with wind ensembles many times, so I guess not. But in any case, it has 18 trumpets.

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Thinking outside the symphonic orchestral scene - we might have a winner with Malcolm Arnold.

Hoffnung Fanfare - for 36 Trumpets!

This piece is available from Jim Olcott - Triplo Press - and is a fantastic fanfare, should you ever find yourself in the company of too many trumpeters

7. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

I played Verdi Requiem with La Scala. We did the loud off stage parts on stage with 12 trumpets. The soft off stage parts were played by 4 guys off stage and there were at least 4 trumpets in the orchestra. I don't remember if the orchestra parts were doubled; there were at least 20 of us that day.

The Met usus a lot of trumpets on Aida. I've done Aida with 8 trumpets. I think they have used at least 14 (12 on stage, 2 in the pit).

8. Jim

Jim New Friend

Sep 1, 2005
    Wow thanx all!

Looks like the Hoffnung Fanfare is winning so far. I was just asked to find the classical piece, not specifically an orchestral one, but I thought that if I didn't limit it somehow, it would be impossible to find all the massive trumpet group arrangments and pieces with masses of parts and work out what had the most but I think that the Fanfare is probably fine. Anything higher?

Wouldn't you reach some kind of critical mass of trumpeters before gathering enough together to play that thing?!?

9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    BRIAN!!!

Did you play that gig back in the 70's with La Scala and Abbado conducting at Carnegie?

That was my second professional job!!!

Arthur Aarons hired me for that one. I was the 12th trumpet, on the end, and I didn't own a set of tails so I got this sorry looking big velvet white and a black suit.

It was a cool gig to play and I'll never forget the La Scala guys and their Bb's. Great singers, great chorus. Wonderful that you were there, Brian.

ML

10. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    Manny,

I was on both the LaScala (Abbado) Verdi gig that you mention as well as on the Khatchaturian recording (a high schooler, imagine) with Stoky and the CSO on RCA. Now I feel like an old fart!

Laughing, but in pain :cry:

Remember when we were the young kids on the block? (I'll tell how kind to me you once were at the BSO finals one day in my forum) (not yet though) (tease)
    EC