Laser eye Surgery

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Nov 8, 2010.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hey all,

I am scheduled in to have a lasik eye surgery (the procedure where they cut the flap) in about a month (Dec 17th). I was wondering how many of you had this procedure and play professionally? How soon after this surgery can you start playing again and not have to worry about any back pressure to the eyes?

Thanks
    Eric

2. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I played again in 2 days, and the only problem I had was adjusting to fluorescent lighting for the first couple of weeks. I never noticed a problem from back pressure at all. I had some light sensitivity for about 6 months and some dryness for the first 3 months. It was totally worth it - going on 7 years now and I still see 20/15, and I didn't see well enough to find my glasses before! Best money I ever spent, and have never regretted a single penny!
    One bit of advice - sleep as much as you can the first few days - it really helps the healing process. Also, make sure you use your eye drops frequently and always keep them with you - this also helps speed healing. Good luck!!

3. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    my wife had hers 5 years ago on a wednesday and competed in a triathlon that weekend. Good advice about eye drops. If in doubt ask your eye surgeon.