Laser Tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Hughes, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    OK, I want opinions!

When does a "commercial" sound, or a lead sound that is "compressed," become unruly "laser tone."

We can obviously hear the different tonal colors of different styles. Much of this is due to playing approach, but lets face it, Ave Maria doesn't sound right in most cases on a 6a4a! But there are styles and charts out there that sound better in high ranges and dynamic lead solos on the shallower, higher compression mouthpieces, and purpose built horns.

I also want to "qualify" out the many players who get a good commercial sound out of say a 3c-style or 5c-style MP, and an all purpose horn like a Bach 37 or a Xeno, because, yes, this equipment is really an all-purpose type of set up.

So, what, exactly, to you is this accursed "Laser Tone?" What defines it?

So, that said, opinions please?

2. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Why, there's no such thing :D

Honestly, I can't say trumpet playing can ever be "too bright" - the laser-beam lead sound [and beyond!] certainly have their place in rock, funk, even some big-band jazz...and on the other extreme, cornet playing can never be too mellow...

3. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    This is when you can manicure a young lady's eyebrows in the second balcony with a double high C. Your name also needs to be Doc, Cat, Maynard or Arturo. There will be plenty of other things that happen first that will lead you to suspect you have developed laser tone. Me? I'm workin' on it!

4. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Another indicator would be doing the above with a cornet, preferably with a shallow mouthpiece...
    ConnCornetChart feel versus sound tone dark bright.jpg

5. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I have played with a guy who was so bright, that even though his notes were in tune, they sounded sharp. It was crazy.

6. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    He was so bright his mother called him Sonny!

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I think they can. I've heard trumpets that were so bright it was obnoxious - an unpleasant, thin sound for sure. Then, there are cornets that are so mellow they sound like mud. There has to be a certain amount of body, or richness to a bright, laser tone that makes it a thrill to hear. Same with a cornet that's trying to be a flugel - there has to be enough clarity to the tone to be beautiful and lyrical.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Start with a Conn 40B and go from there!! :D

9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Did some experimenting yesterday. Used my JET-TONE and coupled it to the 40B. I was "cutting" glass with that setup!!! It was enough to make a lead DCI player blush!!! High G long tones? No problem! Neighborhood dogs barking? Oh yeah! Great setup for Ava Maria? Not a chance!

10. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    This is starting to fall in line with the " How do I get a Brighter tone using a big mouthpiece" Thread....