Laser Tone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dave Hughes, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Dave,
    You asked:
    "So, what, exactly, to you is this accursed "Laser Tone?" What defines it?
    ------
    This is hard to define since everyone has there own personal idea of "Laser Tone"
    In my opinion, laser tone is that obnoxious sound that many (not all!!!) college trumpet players graduate with.
    It's a sound that's so over the top bright that it cuts through everything and fails to blend with others. For my ears, it's not an optimum tone. Laser tone isn't volume, its' just too damned bright and skinny. It sounds like the horn is paper thin. A good example is at the end of John Thomas' Trumpet Secrets DVD (which is a very good study in trumpet) where he plays the song Father and Son with his dad. His Dad (Don Thomas) has a fat, beautiful sound. John (this is in his much younger days) sound has a laser tone to it on this recording. Are both trumpet players great? Hell yes!! It's just the differences in tone. Maybe laser tone just ain't fat enough
    Dr.Mark

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Don Thomas had one of the best lead trumpet sounds ever!

3. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Don Thomas had one of the best lead trumpet sounds ever!
    --------------------
    You sure got that right. His sound is like molten butter but in no way weak or thin. There might be people that are as good but I've yet to hear better. It's almost like he was infused with Mendez but with a Johnny Carson Tonight Show attitude.
    This guy falls under the heading "Scary good". When you hear it, you want to sound like it.
    Dr.Mark

4. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    I noticed you said had one of the best sounds. Is Don dead? Damned, I hope not.
    Dr.Mark

5. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    No, Don is living in an assisted living home in Ft. Worth. Bill Collins (a retired DFW pro player) went to high school with John Thomas and grew up with Don & John. Bill played alot with Don and has many videos posted on his youTube channel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DSZSwKH8fo

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Oh boy, opinions!

I find "laser tone" to be a sound that is too loud and or bright for a given style, e.g. concert scene from Uncle Joe Shannon - YouTube

Sure, the clip with Maynard playing a trumpet solo and making it "legit" with the famed "slur two tongue two" is cute, I guess, but certainly nothing to be proud of in terms of a classical style. For me it's all about style, and style includes all those subtle nuances.

7. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    This is interesting…. In the music world I grew up in, If someone said you had “Laser Chops” that was a compliment, it meant that they really liked your sound. If someone said to you “ Man, I have laser chops tonight”, that means he is having a real good night of playing. This is the first time I’ve heard someone use this definition other than in a positive way. JMO Don Thomas has killer laser chops…his lead sound is incredible, I can listen to him all day…..

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I failed to mention, my JET-TONE. is the smallest, shallowest they ever made. The wide rim makes it comfy to play but it has a very thin sound. When I revert to my Giardinelli 5S, I feel like I'm on a trombone mpc!!!!

9. Ljazztrm

Ljazztrm Piano User

Nov 15, 2003
    Queens, NY
    What type of jet-tone is yours tobylou? I'm kind of an expert in jet-tone mthpcs.

The idea is to get the most intense 'laser tone' you can get. Then you can fit it any volume gig without a mic. The reason for this is so you never fatigue your chops to the point where you can't do the next gig later in the today, tomorrow, or the day after. Once you are able to get that tone, you can easily dial it down with a mouthpiece change to fit the situation you are in. I only need the super intense 'laser tone' when playing with electronic instruments that are playing way too loud, such as in wedding or party gigs where they want a trumpet and have no idea about how to mic a horn and have no interest in taking the time to do so..although they still want to hear a loud trumpet. These are the gigs where I walk in with my earplugs already in! I get called to do a lot of these gigs because of the very fact I am 'low maintence'..I just walk in and never complain about the volume or mics or anything...set up, do my thing..and leave.. those bands have much more important things to worry about (or so they imagine) than a trumpet player concerned about his/her setup. Yes, these are 'anti-music gigs'. Just keep a low profile, play well, and leave... unlike guys who make a fuss and don't get called back. An easy way to make $500-$1000 with 3-4 hours work..just keep a low profile and play well and leave..save the musicality for the creative music gigs!:-)

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    JET-TONE custom model 1B. It touches the receiver in most all my trumpets. I cannot use it in my ST-302. It bottoms out and "rolls" around. I read that the early ones came with a reamer so the player could open up the throat. I just wonder if the same is true for the length. I love it for it's intended purpose.