Last Post

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hardnut, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England
    This year for the first time I haev been asked to play the Last Post for my college, which means playing on my own in front of over 1000 people, something which has been unparalleled in my music career.

Do any of you pros in this department have any tips on how to avoid nervousness, how best to play the piece, and how to produce a good sound on the day?

Many thanks,

Chris.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    On gigs where I would get nervous, I go to a good italian place BEFORE the concert, have a plate of spaghetti and ONE glass of wine. Works every time!
    Seriously, take your time, prepare yourself properly, then you have nothing to worry about!
    When on stage, start by exhaling until your air is expended, then breath deeply and just make music!

3. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Rowuk is right, as long as you are prepared, you should be alright. I believe (as well as many others I am sure) that one of the biggest factors to being nervous is being unprepared! KNOW the piece inside and out! (I assume you will be playing from memory?) If not, then practice it enough so you CAN play it from memory, it will help with the nervousness! Also, don't think about the "audience", just close your eyes and think of nothing else but the most beautiful version of last post you've ever heard. That way you remain concentrated and the congregation sees you in such a state of reverence that it adds to the whole effect.

Break a leg
    Eric
    (long time last poster)

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    sorry, but what is Last Post?

5. Clarino

Clarino Mezzo Piano User

Nov 9, 2003
    Sheffield, England, UK
  6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    "Last Post" is the British & Commonwealth equivalent to "Taps". It is played on "Rememberance Day" which is the equivalent to the US "Veteran's Day".

7. Hardnut

Hardnut Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2006
    South England

Thanks very much guys - I have known the piece by memory for quite a while now, and closing my eyes really really helps me to forget about everything else - thats fantastic advice!!

Thanks so mcuh, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply!

Chris.

8. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Not just Rememberance Day, but also at various memorial services and funerals for Veterans etc.

9. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    [​IMG]

10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Thanks Eric, I kid of figured it would be something along those lines. My first big "gig" was when I was in middle school and I got to play Taps for Veterans Day in front of the whole town. I was really scared, but I remember just focusing on a single piece of grass and blocking out everyone and everything around me. Good luck, Chris!