Last Post

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nosray, Nov 6, 2008.

1. nosray

nosray Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    How many of youTMers out there are playing last post on remembrance day?

2. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    The 11th month, 11th day, 11th hour. A worthy thing to do.

3. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Probably a number of UK and Commenwealth members are. I may give it a try myself, in honor of their sacrifice, English friends and my English roots plus my Anglophilia ( no cure for it):thumbsup:

4. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    what's last post?

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    In the states our version is "Taps".

[​IMG]

-cw-

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Simple little piece - all open notes - hardest thing in the world to play because of the emotion involved - very, very hard to divorce yourself from the impact on returned Commonwealth soldiers. Everyone knows the tune - and everyone will forgive the player for getting it slightly a-kilter.

Read page 163 of Bryce Courtney's - Brother Fish to see how an Aussie explains ANZAC Day (when the last post is mostly played) to an American soldier.

This is one immensely important piece for Aussie and NZ returned soldiers - visit Oz or NZ on the 25 April for ANZAC Day or 11 Nov for Rememberence Day to experience the impact on the ENTIRE community. I know of NO OTHER Day (ANZAC Day), anywhere in the world that has this level of community 'acceptance'. This tune is associated with a Nationwide rememberance day in both Australia and New Zealand and is a gazetted 'holiday' for both COUNTRIES - yes both entire COUNTRIES stop for rememberence of those who gave their lives in war service for their country. Anzac Day and Rememberence Days are a bit different - strangely ANZAC Day seems more important. ANZAC Day starts for trumpeters before dawn and continues till 'the going down of the sun' with the Last Post played at both ends of the day.

As to your question - no, I am UNABLE to meet the needs of the performance, I CANNOT play it on the day - too much emotional significance.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  7. edcon1981

edcon1981 Mezzo Forte User

Jun 25, 2008
    Central Jersey
    ah, yes... taps. unfortunately i spent ten years being forced to compartmentalize my emotions while i was a volunteer emt (to give proper care when faced with extreme scenarios you have to be able to detach yourself). because of this i can typically play taps without getting choked up. :-(

8. Tootler

Tootler New Friend

Oct 10, 2008
    Ottawa
    Have played Last Post many times over the years. Besides the emotional context, you're always aware of the great NEED to get it right, so as to not disgrace the event. But by far the most difficult circumstances of my playing this piece occured during the memorial service for a dear family friend who was ex artillery. No matter how you look at it, it's emotional.

9. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    Unfortunately I have to work on Rememberance Day, but I am bringing my horn to work and will be playing the last post at 11:00. It the least I can do.

10. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
    Last Post is a privilege to play BUT Remembrance Day(Nov. 11) can provide many issues, especially if you are playing outside in Canada. I've had my valves freeze (not that big a problem), my MP almost freeze to my lips (real problem) and snow swirling around my feet(not a huge problem but uncomfortable).

The worst part of the process is waiting what seems to be forever while the piper plays a lament ;-) and then playing Rouse.

I'm not booked this year, first time in many!