Late Beginner- is it too late to be in band?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by I Am The Strumpet, Oct 27, 2008.

1. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I agree with everyone who says you should give it a shot. Speak with the band director and ask for advice. Most are just looking for individuals who have some passion and are willing to work.

Good luck...

2. alexbegins24

alexbegins24 New Friend

May 28, 2008
    I started playing last January and I was 24 years old. I had never played trumpet before. I have had quite a bit of experience with drums and a little guitar and bass which helped to start things off but I had barely any sight reading experience. I started with the Essential Elements book one and then onto more advanced books. I have taken two lessons so far but do to costs I am only able to squeeze them in every so often but they really have helped.
    The things that were frustrating such as my range became gradually easier with patience and practice. If you love it or even just like it right now, I encourage you to keep going with it. You might be surprised as I have been when you notice improvements. I can finally hit high C.

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    go for it!! Don't be impatient. listen to your trumpet teacher and you be there before you know it. Just practice every day. that's the key EVERY DAY!!
    Enjoy

Bob G

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    It's never too late to start something. It's only too late when there is nothing to start. If you really want to learn and practice hard you can make it.

5. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    Like others have said, go for it!

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I joined my FIRST band at age 49 - absolutley the best thing I ever did musically, satisfaction assured, and the very best fun - remember, "Banding" is a team sport, so everyone gets to help you.

7. Snorglorf

Snorglorf Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    I started playing trumpet in grade 10, and also joined both concert band and jazz band in grade 10. Just go for it, and don't be afraid to suck. You'll improve way faster than not being in the band.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Just a word of warning here - trumpets work better if you blow ... ROFL

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I agree with everyone, go for it. Playing with the band should help develop cooperation, comraderie, and teamwork. I am a 44 year old guy -- my lungs have never been the best, even back in high school -- just love your instrument - and love playing. As I got older mild aerobics seem to help me - and exercise boosts self esteem, confidence, and is just healthy anyhow. don't buy a mute -- put the bell end of trumpet between clothes hanging in your closet -- that won't restrict the blow, but will help your parents hearing.
    ken

10. crazyandy88

crazyandy88 Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2007
    Fayetteville, AR
    Definitely go for it! Playing alone is fun but there is little as fulfilling as making great music with a group of friends. Also, if you stick with band you can get some scholarship money for being in college band. I get $1,100 a semester for doing what I love!